FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where to start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NickA View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to start
    Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 9:23pm
Not only vertical and unbent; they even have the outhaul off.  Very powered up indeed! 

Sadly I can't do that single handed.

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 9:25pm
amazingly the windmeter at the club was reading 32 knots that day, it was amazing sailing it really was, the waves were perfect for jumping and surfing on.
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
ballina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 9:52pm
did I say "3000 & Vago take on the Vario"....did u see that photo!.. I thnk I have jus been turned to the dark side.  Vago & vario just got slapped in the face

Edited by ballina
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 9:53pm
i am biased but the 3000 is an amazing boat for singlehanding in the light stuff and when the wind gets up and you have a crew you cant beat it for a sensation of speed
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
ballina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 10:52am

That is me sold.....3000 it is. 

Only questions I have in the back of my mind is why Laser stopped producing it & what are the bugs that Vandercraft had to iron out in the V3000? 

Are they serious enough to make me steer clear of the L3000.  Considering my (lack of) ability, I expect it will not make much of a difference (other than the dent in my wallet).

hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 11:23am

the only thing you need to watch for is under the gunwhales where the shroud plates attatch there will be a stainless steel plate it needs to be mre than 2 inches long or it will pull through the deck, its a problem laser sorted out on their later boats..

Basically what vandercraft have done is stiffen and lighten the hull, redesigned the sails and there is a new rudder, but even at the nationals the old boats werent doing too badly..

if you have anymore questions pm me and i will do my best to help (im on the 3000 comitte)

Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by ballina

Only questions I have in the back of my mind is why Laser stopped producing it & what are the bugs that Vandercraft had to iron out in the V3000? 

My guess is that it was a lot cheaper for Laser to make the plastic Vago than is was to make the g.r.p. 3000, simple as that.

As to bugs, Dan has identified the only one, and while there's no question that the Vandercraft boats are lighter, stiffer and thus potentially quicker and more lively, with its extra weight the Laser is definitely more stable.

The old Hyde sails as supplied with the Laser could also be said to be more versatile for singlehanders - you can furl the jib and reef the main. That said, Vandercraft are now also optionally supplying a Dacron North jib which in principle can also be furled (the Mylar one is battened, thus unfurlable) - some of us are about to fit furlers to our V3k's and try that out.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 12:46pm
There was a big gap between Laser at least giving up on bothering with the 3k (you could probably still have bought one if you'd asked nicely) and the Vago coming along, wasn't there?

When the 3k was launched, it was touted as as Youth boat, and I think did briefly have an RYA Squad? I think Laser started to lose interest when the 29er took the Youth asymmetric role (pushing the 405 out of the way as well).
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by ballina

why Laser stopped producing it

It wasn't selling! Plus I think all the major suppliers have figured that the sales numbers are in entry level boats at the moment.
ballina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 08 at 3:05pm

Thanks Dan/All. 

The advise is much appreciated.  Must admit, the responses have been great.....quite a supportive community.  Felt the same welcome/friendliness when I crewed  on a boat for a couple of weekend races.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>