FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where to start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NickA View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to start
    Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 10:33pm
Want a fast asymetric trapeze boat but want to take kids and friends out too.  Yes it's a compromise.  One I've been making myself for many years. 

But if you must ... and some of us must:

The Vago is heavy, wobbly, not especially fast and a little hard to trapeze with ease due to a high freeboard and few places to push off from.  But many like it.

IMHO, the V3000 is better - faster, less wobbly and easier to trapeze - I can single hand mine up to F5 with the smaller jib on, but it's slow that way as you're mostly surviving.  When the weather hits F5+ recruiting a crew makes it all faster and lots more fun.   The original hyde main (supplied with laser 3000s) can be reefed and the jib can be furled.  The North main and jib (supplied with V3000s and all that are now available new) are stuck at one size.

The RS500 is perhaps too powerful, it really is a two man boat.

An RS Vario might be the answer - but there isn't much for the crew to do.

You could consider a cat, maybe?  The Dart 15 and 18 though old and ugly take one or two with ease.  Best ask on the cat pages as they'll know more than me.

Personally, I just prefer sailing monohulls.  Cats feel like cheating .

Edited by NickA
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
ballina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 9:20pm

Origianlly I was looking at a cat, but I've been told to steer clear by a friend.  His 'trust me' was enough so its a mono for me.

Thanks for the feedback, all. 

Looks like 3000 & Vago take on the Vario & I promise to get help to get help to get past my RS500 fixation.  

Now I just have to find some place nice & warm to try them all out........!!!  .

Edited by ballina
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 9:36pm

i am yet to see a photo of an Rs500 doing this, for an easyish boat to sail you get a lot of bang for your buck.
Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 10:33pm
The V3000 looks awesome. I want a go. It'll have to be a force 6 mind. They should have given it a carbon rig with the overhaul.
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 10:36pm
Ross, I think the only reply to that is ...

£££
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 10:36pm
it really doesent need it, its fast enough on its own as is. If you want a go, give me a pm and we shall see if we can organise it for you.

Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 08 at 11:35pm

I'd go for a carbon rig on my 3k right away - not becasue I'd expect it to give more speed - it wouldn't - but more for even easier handling and because it would somehow be more in keeping with the superlight hull.

But you're absolutely right, Villan, the reason we don't is that it would up the cost of a new boat by about 20%, and it certainly wouldn't make it 20% better by any means

ASok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ASok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 10:17am

Originally posted by NickA

You could consider a cat, maybe?  The Dart 15 and 18 though old and ugly take one or two with ease.  Best ask on the cat pages as they'll know more than me.

Personally, I just prefer sailing monohulls.  Cats feel like cheating .

Ugly?  Thats a bit harsh

The Dart 18 has very active fleets in Belgium and France, so if you ever get racing or want to learn more about them then there are plenty of people around. 

Personally, i love sailing the D18 singlehanded.  Its very fast, forgiving and a great challenge.  Nice a stable too for taking the kids out on.  My only complian is that its big - great for singlehanded and on the wire, but not so good around the dingy park and when launching/recovering by yourself.

I agree with otehr comments - treat the family to a Neilson or similar holiday and try out different mono's or cats.  See what suits and what the family gel with.  You never know it may even be a cat !

hollandsd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 10:18am

looking ath that photo of us, is it me or is the mast extremely straight and upright?

We should really de'power when it gets that windy.

Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 08 at 1:03pm

Originally posted by hollandsd

i am yet to see a photo of an Rs500 doing this, for an easyish boat to sail you get a lot of bang for your buck.

the 500 will also do this in the right conditions. i have been wave hopping in a 500 and its great fun because its so easy to sail and forgiving. not sailed the 3000 or 3V so cant compare though.

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>