FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

where to start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
ballina View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to start
    Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 9:02am

I am looking to start sailing & am looking for a bit of advice as there does not seem to be any sail clubs close to me & this is the ususlly entry point.  

I am 6'3 & about 100k kilos.  My only bit of experience was a (very old) Yamaha Seahopper (similar to Laser), I found in a friends garage, made up what I reckoned was close to the orignal rigging & off I went. 

I want to find the magical dinghy that does it all.....it will let me sail single-handed while I hone my skills but it still needs to be exciting so I dont loose interest after a year or two. I am quite athletic & don't mind the odd dunking.  After a few seasons I want to be able to take my kids out & introduce them to sailing.

My research has got me this far......Single handed laser is too small. V3000 may be a good option.  Vago looks great fun (but has been criticised), RS400 looks good but apparently not for single handed (even for one as tubby as myself?), RS500 looks fantastic.  If I had the cheque in my hand right now, the 500 would be the one, but I may be out of my league & loosing sight of the idea of taking the kids out on it.  

Does this magical dinghy exist?

hollandsd View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote hollandsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 3:11pm

I may be biased but the V3000 would be a good buy, but i would recomend an old laser 3000 there are a few very cheap at the moment and providing you make some of the modifications will be perfectly suitable for singlehanding but only upto a force 4 ish.

Hope this helps

Dan

Laser 184084
Tasar 3501
RS600 698
RS600 782
feva sailor View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote feva sailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 3:34pm
RS vission?
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 6:02pm

Looking at where you are, I take it you will be sailing inland. As to the size of the place you will be sailing, only you will be able to inform us how large the lake is.

As for boats, what is available in Luxembourg? Are you considering importing the ideal boat or is there a second hand market available?

Based on the fact you aren't near any clubs the other option you have is to go on holiday and try these out. Something like an RS Vareo or a Finn maybe more what you are after, one has a kite, the other is an Olympic class.

Very difficult to recommend especially as there may not be any around you to test sail.

Ian29937 View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ian29937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 08 at 7:36pm

Vario might be the perfect option, virtually the same underwater hull shape as an RS500 but single handed.  Plenty of room for the kids and you can play with the spinnaker to keep things interesting.

Ian

RS700 GBR960

www.sail4cancer.org

Hengest View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hengest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 8:06am
Originally posted by hollandsd

I may be biased but the V3000 would be a good buy, but i would recomend an old laser 3000 there are a few very cheap at the moment and providing you make some of the modifications will be perfectly suitable for singlehanding but only upto a force 4 ish.

Hope this helps

Dan

I've seen people say L/V3000 are only single handable upto F4 a few times.  does this mean even with a reefed main on on L3000 ? Not sure if you can reef the main on a V

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 9:33am
With a 100 kg sailor, a 3000 will be fine to singlehand in most conditions, but not recommendable if the 100kg sailor wants to sail regularly with a crew in future. The 3k is a great boat but we can't pretend it's a great weight carrier, even if Dan and Andrew do seem to magic their way round the course with 26 stone (165 kg) on board!
mossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 1:09pm

Think long and hard about whether you want an allrounder. They are always a compromise and will considerably restrict your choice of class.

If most of your sailing is going to be single-handed it might even be worthwhile getting an exciting single-hander for yourself and then a beat up old double-handed boat that is quite stable as a second boat to take the kids out in.

However, if you are set on the idea of an allrounder I think the RS Vareo would be a good choice. I bought one earlier this year and I really love it (although I have not tried taking anyone else out in it yet).

RS Vareo 541 "Troika"
ballina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ballina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 9:38pm

Radixon - you have picked up on my dilema.  It's hard to pick something when I am effectively searching in the dark.   No water (of note) in Lux.  A long narrow lake in a deep valley is the only option, approx 200mx800m.  I am sure I should be able to find moew open water a couple of hours into France.  I am not expecting to find something for here, but am researching for my retun to the west of ireland. 

If head ruled heart, the Vision should be the clear leader, but the 3000 & Vario (which I hadn't seen before) look to be a bit more fun, but.....mossman has thrown a spanner in the works...tempting me to stick to a singlehander...my kids will be disapointed with you !  Still can't stop you-tubing the rs400 & 500 though.

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 08 at 9:45pm
As another singlehander/ family boat could be the Laser Vago.

Still I recon as you aren't near water, go on a holiday to test sail everything!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>