FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So EXPENSIVE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
hydrographer20 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So EXPENSIVE!!
    Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:03pm

hi back in  the days i used to sail with my dad or borrow his boat but i recently bought a topper byte.  i cannot believe the hidden costs!! first thres insurance then im paying 200 a year to keep it at the dingy park then 70 to join a club.  then another like 150 if i wana go on a course.  is it this expensive for everybody else??  however i must say though the cost is definatley worth it

byte me!- GBR 814
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:24pm

No im a Junior member at both my clubs and as they are trying to encourage younger members the fee's are very reasonable also once you have joined it does get a bit cheaper becaue you never have to pay the large lump sum for the joining fee !

But you are right sailing isn't a cheap sport if you want to be ion a club with your own boat

-[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:44pm
wait till you get on a circuit.10er for a regional open, 25 quid a nationwide.
hydrographer20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hydrographer20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 7:45pm
well if u dont join a club basicall u cant really get anywhere canu its so annoying but well worth it
byte me!- GBR 814
Wave Rider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wave Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 8:09pm

Yeah you cant race in good races without the use of a club really !

Harry i've been doing Topper training every week and should be on a circuit soon ! yey!

Also are you going to do the Nationwide event at Chew in the summer?

Edited by Wave Rider
           -[Franko]-
Chew Valley Lake Sailing Club
           RS600 933
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 05 at 10:14pm

Don't forget your class association membership at about 25 to 30 pa

RYA membership at 33pa

RNLI membership - don't know how much that is...

Imagine if you joined all of these. No wonder each of these is trying very hard to get our money. How many people actually are members of the first 2 whic hwe are told by each to be essential if you sail.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 8:03am
Yes ill be going to chew, see you there!
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 11:36am
I think you should join the association.  I can't see much benefit of joining the RYA although I have been a member in the past when I was an instructor.
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 12:52pm

Originally posted by redback

I think you should join the association.  I can't see much benefit of joining the RYA although I have been a member in the past when I was an instructor.

That is it - I think people only join the RYA because they have to. For example if they are involved in training. I am sure their marketing manager will have something to say about that.

Free publications, supporting our sport etc. But when do we have time to read all the publications we get as well as go sailing.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
stuarthop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote stuarthop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 05 at 2:27pm
I am a member of the RYA as i'm an instructor but if i wasn't i dont think i would bother to be honest because all the services the RYA offers are available to non members any way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>