FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS 500

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Fans1024 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fans1024 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS 500
    Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 10:15pm
The PY seems low at 972. - 972 is about right.
Is it very difficult to sail to this? Its not a beginners boat, but at the same time its not a hard boat to sail.  Its really easy to trapeze off.
What are they like in light winds in a handicap fleet? Being a trapeze boat its always going to be slightly disadvantaged in the light stuff, but its not completely impossible to beat the 200s and the like.
Are they manageable in a blow? Yup, although the first few gybes with the kite up, you will probably go for a swim.

Also would go with the 2:1 jib set up, I mainly go with the 1:1 system, but in a blow and back to back races, I find the jib feels surprisingly powerful.

Also where do you sail?  As some clubs have 500 fleets and others have 3000 fleets.  Sailed both boats, and they are both great. 

Given your sizes, you're on the light end for the 500, maybe the 3000 would be more suited.  Still if you have a fleet for 500s at your club, you're not stupidly too small for it

Edited cos just read your latest post.

Edited by Fans1024
G.R.F. View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 10:46pm
8 stone & 10.5 Stone?

Get the V3000, but get the RS500 rather than an ancient boat like a fireball
surely, do they still make them even?

At least the controls will be familiar, but at that weight if you go with the
500 be sure to get the smaller main sail at least for when it's windy.

The 500 will have the edge o the V3000 in light winds, the reverse will be
true as the wind increases.
FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 08 at 10:49pm

Originally posted by G.R.F.

8 stone & 10.5 Stone?

Get the V3000, but get the RS500 rather than an ancient boat like a fireball
surely, do they still make them even?

They definitely do and they're bloody good boats

Neil

G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 12:07am
Sorry neil I'm sure they are, who makes them these days then?

29er is that a brand of Fireball
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 1:18am

If your club has a fleet of Fireballs I'd get a Fireball.  You'll learn a lot more about sailing and enjoy the comraderie.   I think buying a 500 in such circumstances would be divisive and I also think it might be a bit of a handfull for you.

I would have thought a 500 would plane to windward in flat water and the right wind strength but in most conditions it won't.  The 29er is a completely different boat and having sailed one I can tell you its not very stable and although you're the right weight its a total commitment sort of boat requiring some dedicated training and regular sailing.  It does plane to windward in quite a wide range of conditions.

laser4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 9:36am
Originally posted by John F

oh thanks for the comments. I have been curently sailing a laser 3000, my daughter is 8 stone ans i am 10 and a half! I had been thinking of a fireball as our club has a fleet!     What do you think rs 500 or Fireball!

Fireball every time...yes it's an older design but still very relevant and with what appears to be a growing fleet. Good to have people in the club that know the boat and can give you tips. I think she might be a little light on the weight to crew, but if you get a boat setup for lighter weight crews (generally flatter sails, bendier mast) then you should be ok. If you get good at it then they also have international regattas which is great fun.
G.R.F. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote G.R.F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 12:29pm
Why perpetuate growth failure?

I think it's a terrible mistake to attempt to force the old onto newcomers.

Sure Fireballs were great in their day, but that's been and gone.

Same as any conventional symmettric boat, I can't believe anyone coming
fresh into the sport would want to go down that path.

Its why classes inevitably stagnate and die.

Moving from a laser 3000 to a Fireball just because others are misguided
enough to hang on to the past must be a mistake imvho.

But what do I know? Only the modern stuff clearly.

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 12:43pm

Fireballs are great boats, but I sold my Winder after four happy years when I lost my expert, 12-stone, 6ft crew. The crew is critically important on a Fireball (and they're very satisfying to sail when you're a good team), but with an average crew you're better off with an asymmetric, imho.

I had previously raced a Fireball with an 8-stone crew (I'm 10.5), and while we won some club races in moderate conditions, we were always struggling in a blow.

So now I sail a 3000 with a (allegedly) 9 stone crew, which suits us perfectly. Have you made all the permitted mainsheet mods to your 3000 ( see http://www.3000class.org.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=915 )? They cost almost nothing and make a huge difference to space/comfort, and because you can move fore and aft easily, make the boat quicker too.

No experience in a 500, I'm afraid, but those we have (or had) at Wilsonian seemed to need a fair bit of crew weight. RS seem to have piled on the sail area to produce enough speed. One of then even had some foam 'steps' glued to the deck to help the short crew step out onto the wire: the distance from the c'board case to the gunwale was too great a leap for her. Try in a F3+ before you buy, at any rate.

Riki @ RS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Riki @ RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 1:46pm

The feedback is that our suggested number for the RS500 at 972 seems to be about right - though some clubs are using 964 and still getting the right kind of results. With mixed abilities in the fleet I should imagine it will settle around 972 after returns.

In terms of weight, the nationals was won convincingly with 140kg, and the inlands at around 125kg, though within the top ten boats at the nationals there was variations from 120 through to 155+kg. In any new class, it tends to be technique dominated to begin with, and also theres a few years where owners get to grips with tuning which affects the results. 115kg would certainly be the lower end for the RS500, its this reason that the smaller S main and Jib is available - giving you the stepping stone that you need to get the skills. If you're stepping up this makes a big difference.

Interestingly the national champion winning helm also happened to be the ISAF Youth World Champion in a 29er and is quick to comment that the RS500 has 95% of the ultimate speed of the 29er with a fraction of the trickiness and instability. Thats not a criticism of the 29er.. but is a huge advantage for the RS500.

In terms of its general ease, the RS500 is not beyond any average dinghy sailor - like all high performance boats they take practice and perseverence. A normal sunday every week/every other week user would get good reward after just half a dozen sessions. Its not normal to be able to 'do' a boat like the RS500 if you're stepping up a performance rung, so one single 'demo' or test sail can often be a really bad indicator of suitability. Unfortunately theres no easy answer to this!

PM me or mail if you need any other stats on the RS500

Riki Hooker
Sales Director, RS Sailing
www.rssailing.com
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 08 at 5:12pm

as i sailed an rs500 every week at school for the past year i feel pretty qualified to answer this post. the 500 is a relatively easy boat to sail (for what you get back in terms of performance). with an 8stone crew you should be fine in it once you have sailed it a few time and know what your doing. i took a girl out in one to teach her to use a trapeze in a f4. she was absolutely tiny (guessing 5foot 2ish and 6 or 7 stone at a real max) we coped fine and even had the kite up with no swims.

on the other hand once you get used to it they are really good boats in a big breeze and waves. the final time i sailed one we were pretty much the only boat on the water and the rib pacing us said we were going about 16knots downwind with the kite. yet it felt totally managable and in control. in essence these boats are similar to the 29er in speed but much easier to sail (before anyone asks yes i dhave sailed a 29er quite a lot). they are faster than the 9er in light stuff but neither are particularly rewarding to sail until you get wiring.

one thing i would say is do not get the dacron sails. at our school my crew and i basically got our own boat (only ones that used it) after about 6months use both the main and jib were sh*gged. the mylar ones we used nearly as much are still in great condition. the dacron sails seemed to have very little shape wheras the mylar ones felt so much more balanced and generally better sails.

the handicap is fine at 972, we have won races at the club with it. its especially good in breeze. best bet would be to try one a few times if you can.

cant comment on the fireball as i have never sailed one. all i would say is dont go for a boat just because everyone else has one. go for the boat which gives you the biggest sense of satisfaction when you come off the water.....

at the end of the day its totally your choice. if you want more info about how the 500 sails etc then feel free to pm me etc.

one thing RS, could you make the kites in different colours, black is soooo boring, something like bright pink etc would be so much nicer

Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>