FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling a new sail

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Webmuppet View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling a new sail
    Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:11pm
Hi Folks,

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question but here goes:

My newly acquired Laser came with a brand new folded sail and I've also just purchased a Rooster 8.1 sail which also came folded - I've been told that the sails will last much longer if rolled so I've got myself a couple of very flash Rooster long sail bags. I was going to roll the sails around some tubing (plastic waste pipe from B&Q ?) I haven't got any pipe in the garage so I was going to go and buy some.....so my question is, what diameter tubing do I buy ? Confused

Nigel
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:16pm
The biggest that will fit in your sailbags with the sail rolled round it! Take the bag to B&Q...
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 8:23pm
I have 15 cm diameter pipe, 3 metres long (which is the longest pole which will fit in the back of my van). However at 64Kgs I am obviously not a 8.1 sailor, so I do not know if the foot length is longer than a Radial sail... I don't use a sail bag.
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 9:22pm
Foot length has got to be near enough the same cos it fits the same boom!!

I went to B&Q, bought the black water pipe and then had to go back for a hacksaw, The length I bought, I think 3 didn't fit in my Focus Hatchback. Chopped a bit off and fits fine.

I can get the sail inside the bag with room but it has to be neat!
feva sailor View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote feva sailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 10:32pm

i just wrap my feav sail with no pipe.

thing is unless you have a van you wont be able to fit the sail in the car

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 10:39pm
"soft" sails are better wrapped around a pipe- laminate sails naturally roll to a much larger diameter, and will always (unless they're near dead) try and "fill" the sail bag. Thus, Laser (and topper for that matter) sailors use drainpipe.
Webmuppet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Webmuppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 08 at 11:05pm
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to this post:

Our previous boats have incuded a Topaz Race, a Comet Xtra and the Vareo all of which have Mylar sails which roll quite nicely - for our Topper we have an old section of windsurfer mast to stop the sailbag from flopping about. With a genuine Laser sail being silly expensive it would seem sensible to look after it as best I can (hence the original question). As soon as I can rustle up some bonus cash I think that I ought to buy myself one of the Insail replica sails, £149 + £15 postage to preserve the genuine Laser sail and the far nicer Rooster 8.1 rig - has anyone got any wise words regarding replica sails ?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Webmuppet
I am the milkman of human kindness, I will leave an extra pint (Billy Bragg)

Graduate 2530 'Galaxy'
chrisclark123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote chrisclark123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 3:04am
What i have done with my rooster 8.1 sail is roll it over the pipe i got that covered the bottom section of the mast. It is a perfect fit all you need to do is tie a bit of string in the centre of the pipe to hold it.

Chris
radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 9:16am

Nigel

I would check with your club that you can sail with a replica sail. We at Marconi can, no one would bat an eye lid. I did notice someone on ebay selling a replica because they were unable to sail with one.

I would buy a replica, either one of those or a Rooster one but they can't be used on the circuit.

Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 08 at 10:13am
The replica sails can not be used at class training either (because they are not in class!)

Basically if you sail with a different sail to everyone else you are sailing a different boat and I have observed it can be very difficult/impossible to fully depower some of the replica sails.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>