FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racing Rules: On the offensive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ellistine View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ellistine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing Rules: On the offensive
    Posted: 15 Sep 08 at 11:43pm

I've been reading a lot of the Olympic write ups in the various magazines and how My Ainslie and Mr Goodison employed agressive tactics to make sure their opponents didn't beat them.

At the same time I've been trying to learn the ISAF rules which seem to be there primarily to work out who's got right of way in a multitude of different situations.

How does a sailer employee aggresive moves against another sailer? Surely the victim must have right of way some of the time?

And what is lee bow? Seems a popular one that.

alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 7:35am
Lee Bow is the projection of a boat's "wind shadow"- the area of air made turbulent by passing over its sails- to windward, affecting a boat trying to pass close to windward. Effectively, you even out the pressure on both sides of their sails- it's quite common for a windward boat to pretty much stop. The effect is enhanced by heeling the boat on top of you (careful you don't touch rigs) and even, oddly, flogging your jib (unbattened, "soft", jibs only).

Some boats, though, really don't seem to project much- try as I might I couldn't get a Vareo to put down effective lee-bow.
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 08 at 1:20pm
You can use the right-of-way rules agressively, you just have to manoevre yourself into the commanding position first! It is not easy, but if you can move yourself into the right place to create a right-of-way conflict (and be in the right) then the other boat will have to keep clear, and you have a degree of control over them.
 Post Reply Post Reply