FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Please recommend a good training school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
radixon View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please recommend a good training school
    Posted: 23 Aug 08 at 7:20pm
I completed my Day Skipper Practical 2 weeks ago and did not have to show a log of sailing other than the sheet given to me to outline my experience on.

I had completed the theory over the Winter 2007-2008 as evening classes and found it an easier way to learn it (for me)

I have a wealth of dinghy sailing so thought that doing the Comp Crew would be a waste of time/money and went straight for the practical. I booked the course with Anglia Sea Ventures and although from the area hadn't sailed on the waters in years.
The course was fantastic with the winds we had, F7-8 in the local rivers, less chop etc than you would get from the North sea which we ventured into on a few occasions. If I were to book onto a course in the Solent I am sure it would have to be cancelled (UK weather- Unpredictable!!)

The Yacht - 42Ft was 18 months old, but looked new, was well equipped with 3 cabins and 4 students, your maths will say 2 people had their own cabin, which they did. 2 Heads and a decent size down below meant it didnt feel cramped at all. Catering is all provided for you, something that can't be said for all courses on the south coast.

If you registered interest with A S V they may well be able to accommodate your needs or have someone else they know is looking to do the same thing.

PM me if you want more information.
Techno View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Techno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 08 at 1:37pm
Hi folks,

I have sailed on and off for most of my life, although I haven't been out since March 2006. My friend in Sydney (Down under) has a 30 ft regular sloop type fibreglass yacht and we spent 3 weekends just cruising around the harbour and an overnight trip up to Pitt**ter, the Hawkesbury river estuary. I would say that I'm probably a little bit rusty but it will come back to me as soon as I get back aboard a sailing boat. My father used to leave me piloting his 38 ft yacht (under motor) through the night, right across the channel from Poole to Cherbourg when I was 13 but that was nearly 30 years ago. I have no theoretical knowledge but I can navigate as I did my light aircraft pilot's licence last year. I would say that I know my way around a yacht.

I'm living in Wilts at the moment but there's really nothing to keep me here any more. I have bought an apartment in the far east which won't be completed for another 3 years so I want to get into sailing seriously and be able to sail my own boat over there in 3 or 4 years time.

To the point anyway, my local college runs an RYA day skipper course in the evenings but the next one doesn't start until next February. There is a RYA navigation course for Day Skipper competent starting at the end of September, which is obviously for people who have just done their day skipper, starting Feb this year.
I guess you can see where I'm going with this - yes I'd like to do my day skipper combined theory and practical so that I can sign up for the Navigation course at the end of September.

I haven't got the time or indeed the money to do a competent crew course as well, nor do I think I need to. However, I do not possess a log book and cannot prove, on paper that I have any experience. I mentioned earlier about flying, well I went to South Africa and did my licence in 5 weeks including all the theory and exams and I had no prior experience what so ever. I am a fast learner.
What I am looking for is a training school around the Solent area preferably (Say from Portsmouth to Poole?) that will be able to offer me a combined theory and practical day skipper course. I know that there are quite a few schools that do this but I am hoping to find one that's highly recommended and would be suitable for me. Also, good sized boat with private cabin is very important to me because I am a very light sleeper and the smaller the amount of students the better. These are all important factors that could make the difference between having a really great time and thoroughly enjoying myself or spending £800 and coming away with bad memories and disillusionment.

As with my pilot training experience in SA, there are a great many schools and flight academies but I made my choice based on multiple recommendations for the school I eventually trained at. I am hoping very much that I will be so fortunate in being pointed in the right direction this time too Wink

I thank those of you that take the time to read this post and any help or constructive advice will be very much welcome.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Techno
 Post Reply Post Reply