FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what yacht first timer Avonmouth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
a3xloser View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote a3xloser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what yacht first timer Avonmouth
    Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 3:44pm

Following recent great advice on other treads, i wish to ask for surgestions on what first boat you would recoment for first timer , i will at the moment base Avonmouth area, cardiff, western s mare, or even further up towards chepstow, this seems a good place to start as its closest to home and cheapish,

ok what boats, just list them i will look them up after, must be able to stay upright in the mud, 4 or more birth sort of floating caravan, speed not important but i do want to be able to sail single handed to Ireland and cornwall so not to day boaty, say 2000 to 8000 budget what do you think

Ban G,R,F. i was wrong
Merlinboy View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 4:08pm

Something like this i would think:

http://yachts.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=92130

Its a leisure 22, seems like good nick/price. 

Ps Weston etc. are very very very tidal i would think cardiff would be better when you are starting out.

craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 4:38pm
a3xloser,

Sailing wise in the Avonmouth area, if you intend to proceed with buying a small cruiser then you have the following club options.

Portishead Cruising Club
Chepstow Yach Club
Cardiff Bay Yacht Club
Cardiff Sailing Club
Lydney
Newport Sailing Club

I would recommend my club Thornbury SC but you have to be an active member for more than 5 years before you can apply for a mooring and even then it depends on availability.

Regarding the type of boats sailed, there is a real mix and it really depends on what you want to do.
There is a really well fitted out Achilles 840 for sale at Thornbury SC, PM me for details although it may be a bit too expensive. For short handed sailing an Achilles 24 would be superb and you should be able to pick one up in the Bristol Channel for 6000. In terms of sitting in the mud we have a large range of boats from a J80 to a Westerley Centaur and they all sit in the mud really well but it depends on whether you take it to a drying venue or use the Marinas on the channel. If you plan on going into places like Ilfracombe or Watermouth then you probably want a bilge keel or triple.

Paul

Edited by craiggo
dics View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote dics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 08 at 4:59pm

Check out Cobra 750's. They come in all different fit outs so check out a few on the various websites. Price can be anything from 7K up to 15K depending on the usual but bargains can be had. They are very caravan like but still look a bit sexy. An example is: http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/boats/k3478/k3478.htm but I have seen much better quality fit outs for a lot less. They come in bilge and fin keel so make sure you know which it is before you view.

For build quality try something from the Westerly stable. You'll probably end up with a lot older boat because they hold their price.

Post Reply Post Reply