FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Olympic coverage on the BBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
theycallmegod View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote theycallmegod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic coverage on the BBC
    Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 12:03pm
RYA Press Release

31 July 2008

Sailors go for gold on the BBC

There is no need to miss a second of Britain’s sailors’ quest for gold in Qingdao next month as the BBC brings you round-the-clock coverage from all the action on the water at Beijing 2008.

With full race coverage set to start at 6am – the time of the first scheduled warning signal in China – every day on the BBC Interactive ‘Red Button’ service and at least 30 minutes of sailing highlights planned on BBC One every morning, you can watch all the excitement unfold as it happens in Qingdao.

Viewers will be guided through the thrills and spills of the Olympic sailing competition by experienced sailing commentator Richard Simmonds joined by double Olympic gold medallist Shirley Robertson, who will provide expert analysis and insight into the sport.

All the interactive coverage will be repeated each evening while an hour-long daily Olympic highlights show will also be tracking Britain’s progress around the sports on BBC One at 7pm.

Meanwhile, on Monday 19 August – the day of the scheduled 470 medal races – BBC 5Live will be broadcasting their Breakfast Programme live from the Olympic Sailing Venue while BBC Radio’s Juliette Ferrington will be based in Qingdao for the duration of the Games.

Around 300 hours of Olympic drama will be broadcast on BBC One and Two over the course of the Games while BBC Interactive air time will be upped from 1,000 hours of coverage at the Athens Olympics to 2,450 hours in China.

The Olympic Sailing Regatta takes place from Saturday 9 August – Thursday 21 August.

All broadcast and event schedules are subject to change.
B14 698
Laser 135776
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 12:19pm
Hmm sailing on the radio, now that's going to be dull!

"Yes, GBR have tacked on a wave, slowing, back up to speed. They are really flying now, must be doing at least 10 knots upwind there, I can see the determination on their faces from here. Over a wave, and another, now that's a big one. If you could just see the action here, you would be on the edge of your seat"

Maybe it will work, who knows! One thing I do know is that I'm not getting up at 6am to watch sailing, waking up time is 0820 for me!
Needs to sail more...
Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 12:46pm

No doubt Shirley will by piling on the praise of the Yngling team through gritted teeth

Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 12:55pm

Try

"Well, the Yngling girls are sat by their boat waiting for the wind to fill in to blow the smog away and the algae to clear...ha ha ha ha ha"

RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
theycallmegod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote theycallmegod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 1:49pm
Windguru
Well if that's anything to go by there might be some interesting racing....
B14 698
Laser 135776
FreshScum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote FreshScum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 2:33pm

Dinghy sailing mag have also sent their editor out to china. I think she's got a press pass and stuff and will be posting news and interviews throughout the olympics on their new site www.dinghysailingmagazine.co.uk/olympic

tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by FreshScum

Dinghy sailing mag have also sent their editor out to china. I think she's got a press pass and stuff and will be posting news and interviews throughout the olympics on their new site www.dinghysailingmagazine.co.uk/olympic

Or you can keep up to date with all the latest action at www.yachtsandyachting.com, also you can read what our writers, that will be out in China have to say, in the magazine!

Edited by tgruitt
Needs to sail more...
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 08 at 5:21pm
Looks a tad damp over there on Monday......
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 4:57pm
I have decided I am not getting up at 6 to watch the sailing, and I understand that you can record tele with the Sky box? If this is possible could someone please explain to me how to do it? I'm only used to 4 channels, but now we have a sky box thing and there are lots more! I think I want to record the whole race if possible, will that fit in the box?
Any help would be great! Thanks.
Needs to sail more...
DiscoBall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 08 at 5:01pm
Tom - I think that the coverage will be available on the BBC iplayer thingy on the net during and afterwards (but I may well be wrong....)

Sam - I thought you didn't have a tv....????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>