FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

16 stone male looking for a single hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
lochside20 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lochside20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 stone male looking for a single hander
    Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 12:11am
Grateful; for any suggestions as I return to the sport.  Used to sail bosuns & GP14's on my own. Looking for something a bit challenging.  Likely to be only me as crew. It has been suggested I get a Topper Buzz. Grateful for your opinions, comments and thoughts. 
Lochside20
allanorton View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote allanorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 7:51am
Contender, Phantom or Finn.
Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 7:56am
All of the above
When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

radixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote radixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 8:26am

It also depends on where you sail, ie sea or inland and how big a sailing area you have also what level you are at too.

Not sailed any of the above so can't comment but from spec they are all singlehanders, the contender is the only one with a trapeeze the others are hiking boats.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 9:09am
Phantomipodock seems to be the current trend for the near clinically obese
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 10:00am
Phantom without a doubt
tmoore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 11:42am
another one for phantom (only because its lighter than the finn), but if your good and want extra challenges then you could try a contender for the trapeze experience. test sail each class mentioned and decide for yourself

Edited by tmoore
Landlocked in Africa
RS300 - 410
Firefly F517 - Nutshell
Micro Magic RC yacht - Eclipse
lochside20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lochside20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 12:53pm

Dear All

Thank you for the replies to date. My BMI is a tad better standing at 6feet but overweight all the same.  Good living I say.  The contender appeals to me a tad more and I shall make some more enquiries.  I will be sailing in the sea of the Western Isles.    

Should I discount the Topper Buzz as an option???  Am I not heavy enough for this? 

Or is it more of a two hander??

Moran taing

Lochside20
alstorer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote alstorer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 1:25pm
The Buzz is a two hander by design. Single handing you'd have to trapeze helm. There's better, purpose built, boats if you want to do that.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 08 at 5:52pm

The Buzz is good fun singlehanded, mind. Borrow one and give it a go!

Firefly 2324, Lightning 130, Puffin 229, Leader, Topper 44496, yellow Minisail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>