FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

16 stone male looking for a single hander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Black no sugar View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 stone male looking for a single hander
    Posted: 04 Jul 08 at 1:07am

The good thing about second-hand boats, is that they don't depreciate too much. So, if you buy a comfy boat for the rest of this season then feel ready next year to step into something more challenging, there's a good chance you won't lose any money on it.

GBR884 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote GBR884 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 08 at 11:33am

www.dinghyshop.co.uk

It used to be good but i dont really know how often things are added and to be honest there isn't that many boats on there. Worth a look though.

lochside20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lochside20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 08 at 10:55pm

Hi Folks

Will let you know how I get on and thank you for your wisdom & experience!!  Still undecided and I assume that will be the case until I see the boat in question.     As they say up our way Moran taing or Many Thanks  Clap

Lochside20
Mark_Hitchin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark_Hitchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 08 at 7:12pm
I'm a 16 stone fattie also looking for a single hander at the moment, so this is useful stuff for me.

I've owned a Phantom and a 2 Lasers. I've sailed the RS600 and RS300 and loved both.

I haven't tried a contender.

I'm thinking I'd get a sound Laser for £1000 and might find a sound RS600 for £2500. Is that feasable today?

I hadn't realized the Contender carried weight so well, so thanks for that idea, it's now on the list.

How about the SuperNova?

What about Cats? I've sailed quite a few but know nothing about their capacity to carry weight or what I should be paying. Dart 15 for instance?

How easy is it to check the laser mast step? I used to check the half moons on the mast for wear and hold the boat up to the light and see if the GRP was thin enough that the light could be seen through the mast step. Is there anything better than that?

Finally, anyone know of a suitable boat in the Bognor/Portsmouth area or near Tewkesbury in Glos?
Jamie600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jamie600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 08 at 7:51pm

Best test of a Laser mast step is to fill it with water up to the top and see if it goes down. Your budget of £1k and £2.5 for a Laser and 600 sounds OK, it should get two boats of similar condition, ie a few scratches and dings but sound club racing boats with several seasons ahead of them.

RS600 1001
Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 08 at 11:47pm

Originally posted by Mark_Hitchin

I haven't tried a contender.

I hadn't realized the Contender carried weight so well, so thanks for that idea, it's now on the list. 

Finally, anyone know of a suitable boat in the Bognor/Portsmouth area or near Tewkesbury in Glos?

Hello Mark

Come down to Hayling Island this weekend and have a look at the Contenders as we have an open meeting there.

I will be there in my shiny new Harpprecht Contender - it was a little bit more than your budget but there will probably be boats there that would give you an idea of what you can afford.

By the way this is what my new boat looks like....

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 08 at 5:32pm

Contenders carry weight but the bigger and heavier you are the more uncomfortable they are in lighter stuff.

I'm almost 16 stone and almost 6ft and sailing on a lake I'm getting getting a bit disillusioned with my Contender as it's not very rewarding results wise below a F3. Considering a Phantom if only I could find one!

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Black no sugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Black no sugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 08 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Matt Jackson

Contenders carry weight but the bigger and heavier you are the more uncomfortable they are in lighter stuff.

I'm almost 16 stone and almost 6ft and sailing on a lake I'm getting getting a bit disillusioned with my Contender as it's not very rewarding results wise below a F3. Considering a Phantom if only I could find one!

So are you the same Matt Jackson who keeps appearing in the RS700 open results?

Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 08 at 12:42pm
Nope, not me. A kite might at least make those loooong off-wind legs bearable but are a bit scary when it blowing and you need to bear away into the Dam(n) wall. Our resident Canoe sailor took his assymetric off after quite a short while as it was more of a handicap on restricted water.
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Steve411 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Steve411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 08 at 10:55am
If you want something challenging then definitely try an RS300 (I may be slightly biased). They carry weight well - 2 of the top 5 at our champs this year probably weighed in at 90kg+. Visit www.rs300.org.uk for where they're sailed in Scotland and how to arrange a trial sail.
Steve B
RS300 411

RS300 page
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>