FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Taking boats abroad.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
winging it View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking boats abroad.
    Posted: 24 Jun 08 at 12:19pm
As a way of taking part in the Worlds in Kingston, Ontario, some Brits are buying boats on behalf of the International Contender Association, shipping those boats out to Canada in a container, sailing those boats in the regatta, and those boats will then be sold on to Canadian buyers who are desperate for good boats ie, the boats are not coming back to the UK.

Does anyone have experience of such a situation and the way in which the boats can be insured for the journey and then short term racing use?  Obviously we are trying to keep costs down as much as possible. 
the same, but different...

Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 08 at 12:21pm
Contact the insurance company and see what they say.
RS600 988
Noble Marine View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Noble Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 08 at 12:52pm
Noble Marine are able to extend the policy of existing clients to provide cover for boats taken to Canada.  An additional premium would be charged to cover racing in Canada.

Unfortunately we're unable to provide cover for the boats in the container en route to Canada, but this can usually be provided by the shipping company.

If the boats are sold in Canada after the event and assuming no claims are made, any remaining portion of the premium can be transferred to a new UK based boat or a refund of premium can be given.  NB any policy in its first year, may be subject to cancellation charges.

Any sailors not insured by Noble Marine will obviously have to ask the same question of their own insurers.

Jon
winging it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote winging it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 08 at 1:13pm
I currently own contender 620 - insured with Noble.  Presumably I can't swap/extend the cover for that to the boat I'm taking to Canada (confusingly, contender 621), given I can't sail two boats at once, or am I am being cheeky? 

Edited by winging it
the same, but different...

Post Reply Post Reply