FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any thoughts on RS 400?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PaulUK View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any thoughts on RS 400?
    Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 8:24pm

Hi

I am thinking about buying an RS 400 and would appreciate any general comments and also specific comments on the following;

1) Can it be launched by 1 on a gentle slope?

2) Also sailed by one?

3) Would it manage two adults and a child?

4) Is it reasonably stable but good fun?

5) Any common design problems to look out for?

Many thanks

Paul

PaulUK
redback View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 05 at 10:37pm

The RS400 is a fabulous boat, apart from the B14 which has massive wings its the fastest 2 person non trapeze boat.  Its faster than quite few trapeze boats that used to be called "high performance", ie Fireball, Contender and 470.

It gets such high performance from light weight, slim waterline and loads of sail area and is very well designed and put together with a very adjustable rig.  You'd need about 24 stone hanging over the side to get it going properly and some would say its not very stable. 

You could do all that you suggest but reading between the lines I'd say you are looking at the wrong boat.  Judging from your questions can I suggest something like a Laser 2000. 

PaulUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 1:48pm

I know what you mean about the Laser 2000 being more suitable, but I only have 2-4k to spend and secondhand they tend to be more than this, any other ideas?

Thanks

Paul

PaulUK
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 2:23pm
Hi PaulUK,  I am in a similar postion I want a 400 and am a little worried that it is only a 'get in and race flat out' type of boat...... I want to do all types of sailing!

My reasons for the 400

1,I fell in love with the shape of the 400

2, I would like a boat to grow into and not out of! As I sail on a pond I will just GO FOR IT and see what happens, If it's not for me I will be able to sell it and say at least I tried. But I bet I  have loadsa fun learning to sail it, A bit of a headfry really!

Edited by headfry
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 8:14pm

A 400 on a pond, there is less risk, so why not. 

Paul would you consider an Enterprise.  Apart from my Laser4000 I have an old Enterprise it is stable but not dull, has loads of room and is light making it easy to manouvre off the water.  It is also an extremely versatile boat, able to be sailed one-up or with 4, can take an outboard and is light enough to be paddled along rivers and creeks.  Having a small jib means its capable of being sheeted by light weights like kids and no spinnaker means it is simple to rig and handle.  They perform extremely well in light winds and a cruising version would have a way of reefing the main (which is fairly large).

Don't buy a wooden one (loads of maintenance) but an old glass one can be had for a few hundred pounds with road trailer and trolley. 

Sometimes the old ones are good ones.  Should you get into racing you'll find there is a huge competitive network - but then you will want a wooden one - but that's a whole different ball game.

PaulUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 8:27pm

Yes I think I would consider an Enterprise. I am looking to return to sailing after having learnt whilst at school, maybe the best bet is to try something I can pick up fairly cheap then see how I get on.

Paul

PaulUK
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 05 at 9:26pm
Paul

I'd try the Enterprise class association - they should be able to tell you which clubs have an active fleet near you and arrange a trial sail and probably have second hand boats for sail.

We have a very active fleet at BCYC and also use them for level 2. You can reef them by rolling the main round the boom as they have an aft mainsheet and the chine gives them some extra stability.
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
PaulUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PaulUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 12:19pm

Thanks Garry I will do that.

Just out of interest, whats a Lark like? I assume the name and sail number  suggest you have one, isnt it a bit like an Enterprise?

Paul

PaulUK
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 12:39pm

Originally posted by redback

The RS400 is a fabulous boat, apart from the B14 which has massive wings its the fastest 2 person non trapeze boat.  Its faster than quite few trapeze boats that used to be called "high performance", ie Fireball, Contender and 470.

Tee Hee. I think that's the first time someone's called a Contender high performance (with or without inverted commas) on the forum. Gawd bless you guv'nor.

I never found the RS400 too tippy and I moved from a (rather pedestrian) Tasar which I had whilst teaching my wife to crew. It was quite powerful though.

Edited by Matt Jackson
Graduate 2157, Laser 125557
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 05 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by PaulUK

I know what you mean about the Laser 2000 being more suitable, but I only have 2-4k to spend and secondhand they tend to be more than this, any other ideas

I think you'd get a good 2000 cheaper than a 400! I agree that an Ent might be more appropriate, and I think that any of those 3 would sell easily if you decided you'd got the wrong one.

Re: the Lark, it's a lovely boat, but a little more tippy perhaps, and less suited for family/cruising. Again, though, you can pick up a cheap one that you could sell quite easily if you wanted!

All the above classes seem to be thriving...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>