FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MPS deck...paint it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
29er397 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPS deck...paint it?
    Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 7:16pm
OK guys, just bought myself a prototype MPS, and a bargain it was too! however, it does have some aesthetic issues, one of which being shoddy repairs with epoxy and gel coating on the grippy part of the deck, it really doesn't look pretty! I was thinking a quick layer of white paint over the grippy stuff (not the shiny parts) should have it looking rather lovely in comparison.

Any thoughts? best type of paint for the job?
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 7:26pm
005? one i was going to buy then got advised not to buy prototype for various reasons.

Would it be better to sand it down and re do it properly?
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 7:57pm
I actually think the proptotype is better, doesnt it have carbon racks and full carbon hull?  an you not try and get a paint match by your local car body shop if you take the boat to them they could probably mix up the right colour and spray the repair for you??
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 7:58pm
i dread to think how much sand paper i would go through, plus, i dont really have the time or money to completely regrip it, its just an aesthetic thing. can anyone see any problems with just painting it?

Yes it was advertised as 005. Im pretty sure i must be the only person who has bought a MPS for under 3 grand, fair enough its a prototype but for those of us who aren't loaded its the only way into a fantastic class. There are few differences (all carbon hull, carbon racks, carbon rudder stock etc), the deck layout is identical, only the moulding is slightly deeper at the back. It does have some cosmetic issues, but im not that fussy, its gonna be fun!

Edit: got an air compressor and spray gun so would probably spray it myself.

Edited by 29er397
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 8:12pm
What i would do then is get the boat to a local bodyshop and ask them to mix you the paint and then spray it yourself it would probably only cost you £20 in one of the lads top pockets for the paint!! make sure they mix it to the right colour though!
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 8:37pm
will you be alowed to race that. must come in a long way under weight
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 8:42pm
yup, its totally class legal, not sure what the weight is, i guess there must be weights in it somewhere.
Kudlinski View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kudlinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 8:43pm

on the musto skiff site it says its full recognised for racing.

saw the advert.

RS400 866
RS300 381
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 9:08pm
Yes but I have heard if you do well at anything big and do well the ISAF make a fuss because its meant to be a one design class... By class rules its fine though.

Edited by Chris Bridges
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 08 at 10:35pm
I'll not have to worry, there are far better sailors in the MPS fleet than me, who will have sailed them for far longer, and will be able to afford far newer sails and kit. Its confirmed by ISAF that its OK to race, its an identical hull and sail plan, the only thing that could make a difference is the mast which is again the prototype superspars one, but by class rules its fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>