FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Singlehanded skiff? Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
acidsalior View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote acidsalior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singlehanded skiff? Which one?
    Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 8:40pm
Hi
I have been sailing a Laser 3000 then a Cherub and now want to go with something single handed. I dont want something that will get boring down wind but it must have either hydrofoils or a trapeze. If it dosent have foils it must come with a kite. Any suggestions? Im about 11 stone and 16yo and can go to bout £4000

Edited by acidsalior
Titch
Flat Stanly 2705
Cherub
GBR884 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote GBR884 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 8:50pm

MPS, RS700 or maybe a RS600 as a 1st step into the 700?!

All great boats, very wet and exciting!

Splosh.

*edit: oops, on my brothers acount... serves him right for leaving it logged on

Edited by GBR884
Mopps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mopps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 8:58pm
you might be able to get a nice 700 for that money
but getting the 600 would be a good call
cuz they're damn difficult boats to sail and you can go to quite alot of boats after because of that
x
I am the boatwhore
B14 694

Kudlinski View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kudlinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 9:02pm
buy a 600 then you can always buy foils for it.  Or if you wanted move into the 700 they both seem to provide good value for money.
acidsalior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote acidsalior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 9:03pm
Wat does any1 think of a 600ff or a moth if not i would like something with a kite for a extra umph down wind
Titch
Flat Stanly 2705
Cherub
Chris Bridges View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 9:15pm

Moths are great fun, and the 600ff is growing pretty quickly and is pretty popular, not sailed one though. I have sailed a normal 600, pretty hard to sail despite only having one sail, the hull is rounded and is therefore extremely tippy. the 700 is a bit of a heavy boat, I didn't like it much, but it is easier than a musto but if you don't mind gettign wet the first few times, then I would just get a musto. Steep learning curve but I am sure it would pay off .

I wouldn't buy the RS700, as couple months later you will just be wanting a musto. I'm trying to get a Musto at the moment too, if not might go for a moth or a 600ff.

49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
GBR884 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote GBR884 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 10:13pm

I'd go for a 600 and then after a while if that isn't exciting/tippy enough (unlikely!!) then go for a musto or fit foils to the 600.

Adam

P.S. Splosh........Pot.............Kettle.............!!

Ross View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 08 at 11:24pm
Asymmetric Canoe?
Ross
If you can't carry it, don't sail it!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Chris Bridges

I wouldn't buy the RS700, as couple months later you will just be wanting a musto.

As the RS700 gets better champs attendances in the UK than the Musto skiff (see the YY table) its a pretty good bet that statement isn't true for everyone...
Chris Bridges View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chris Bridges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 08 at 8:14am
I guess, but a lot of people I know have started on the RS700 and have soon realised they should have just gone straight to the musto. But maybe they had their eyes set on a musto in the first place.
49er GBR735 (for sale) - Rutland SC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>