FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asmy kite wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
andy_cherub View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asmy kite wanted
    Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 8:08pm

Hi all,

Im after a kite, J80, Melges 24, Cork 1720 etc. Its to go on a 12ft skiff for a "code zero" rig. Im putting on about a 9m mast and pole length to fit the kite! I know ill have to trim it down a bit to fit - but its only as a trial rig for the moment. Can you guys suggest anything? or know of any suitable kites for sale?

Many thanks, Andy

-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 8:10pm
So how big you thinking andy?
RS600 988
olly_love View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote olly_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 8:23pm
wouldnt a 18footer kite fit
TWO FRANK-Hunter Impala

Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 8:31pm
Andy, are you sure your after a code zero? Light winds? Tight reaching? bar tight luff? No roach? Flat eliptical profile?

Not sure ive spotted any J80s or melges running zeros to be honest...
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 10:08pm
Were just learning but it takes two people to get the J80 kite into the hatch at moment, can't wait to see what its like on a 12ft skiff
Lark 2170
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 11:03pm

as isis points out boats you mention rarely fly a code zero , seen one on clapped out toy bouy ian cleavers melge but doubt he would sell it ,they only use on passage races when no option other than close reaching ,

surely your just looking for a big bstard assy kite rather than a zero ????

Edited by catmandoo
tgruitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by foaminatthedeck

Were just learning but it takes two people to get the J80 kite into the hatch at moment, can't wait to see what its like on a 12ft skiff

but the 12 has a bigger space to get it into than the front hatch on the J80! U the companionway, it's a lot easier!!
Needs to sail more...
andy_cherub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote andy_cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 11:08pm

I used code zero in non litteral terms - im after a big deep kite to go solely downwind, as we only race windward leeward. Its just gona be a little taller than my current no1, well 1m taller sitting on a 9m mast.

J80 kite is only 5m or so bigger than my current kite - and that fits in the kite bin!  with alot of: TOM hurrrry up!!!

So after a big, deep, huge shoulderd kite to overpower us in 5 knots of wind!  Gona be awesum!

ps, prob gona be using a tornado main!

-12ft skiff, Team 'CST Composites'
-Many thanks goes out to all of my sponsors.
Ignore my user name, my views are of a 12ft skiff
Iain C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Iain C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 07 at 11:36pm

Andy you can't cut a kite down properly.  If you cut the foot off it and stitch on a new clew and tack it will set like a bag of $h!te and probably stretch and tear.

Forget it mate, if you want a big kite I suggest you look for a big number 1 kite from down under and get Bob and Alan to stick it in the container.

There is NO WAY an 18 kite will fit, they are ENORMOUS.  See my picture on my 18 thread for 12 v 18 kite.

You might at a push want to think about a 16 kite...dunno how big they are???

RS700 GBR922 "Wirespeed"
Fireball GBR14474 "Eleven Parsecs"
Enterprise GBR21970
Bavaria 32 GBR4755L "Adastra"
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 07 at 12:59am
Originally posted by Iain C

Andy you can't cut a kite down properly.  If you cut the foot off it and stitch on a new clew and tack it will set like a bag of $h!te and probably stretch and tear.

Forget it mate, if you want a big kite I suggest you look for a big number 1 kite from down under and get Bob and Alan to stick it in the container.

There is NO WAY an 18 kite will fit, they are ENORMOUS.  See my picture on my 18 thread for 12 v 18 kite.

You might at a push want to think about a 16 kite...dunno how big they are???

Agreed, Chopping a Spi will not work !

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>