FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Too old for sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
headfry View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too old for sailing?
    Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 11:21am
Marga I am sorry, I wonder if any forum members can work out a way for you to sail. There just has to be a way! Come on folks, please.
Lucy Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 11:28am
Why not do the navigating or tactics on a big boat? Someone who really knows their way round the rules & weather routing is always going to be in demand!
Fly Cherub!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 11:53am
I don’t like to race. To be only a helmsman I can go by motor. I like to use the wind and there must be a way to sail without to have strong arms.
Doctor Clifford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 11:55am

Edited by Doctor Clifford
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
Lucy Lee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 12:05pm

If you can pull ropes a little bit then maybe you could chose a boat with good stability, so that you have plenty of time to react in the lulls without the boat coming over to windward, and reasonably small sails, so that the loads are low.

You could fit a really good ratchet block on the mainsheet (with or without a cleat) and a nice fat mainsheet. That makes a huge difference to the amount of strength you have to use.

I guess it is also a matter of finding a boat where the angle of the mainsheet suits you. For example, if your shoulders are weak you might find a boat with a rear-sheeting main is easier because you can pull in a lot of sail by twisting your body or moving up towards the shrouds.

What did you used to sail before the operation? 

Fly Cherub!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 12:17pm
For the last 55 years I have been sailing anything from dingy to 30 meters yacht. I had a 420 for many years and I did some racing. Now I would like go out by my self on a silent wind power bout.
headfry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 12:19pm

Marga....How about contacting 'Sailability' they could help with ideas for you. I know my club is very active in this area, though I am not sure if this is a 'club' wide thing. Even if you are not local to my club (Oxford) I'm sure if you contact them they will try to help.

We need to get you back on the water for 2005

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 2:50pm
I am not an invalid. I am trying to find a modern wind propulsion system where no physical energies are involved. Maybe a rotary drive or a wing sail.
headfry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote headfry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 2:57pm
Sorry Marga not suggesting you were.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 04 at 3:22pm
Headfry.        &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;         &nbs p;       Many thanks for trying to help me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>