FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

49er VS laser 5k

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ratface View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote ratface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 49er VS laser 5k
    Posted: 03 Oct 07 at 9:30pm
any 49er sailors at grafham?

i wanna try one out, its on my list of boats to try and see what they are like... as i plan to change class before or around the start of next season

you never know you may well get me hooked and after one.

sailed a 5k before and love it, but i want to see what its like compared to a 49er,

but what are people general opinions on these two classes?

and yes i know 5k's are a lot cheaper but i want to be able to race against others

oh and i weight in at 66KG and around 6ft tall... my crew(s) would range from roughly the same to 85KG
BLYM
Hertfordshire Sailing team
Uk-Cherub 2644
Laser 4000 -4089
Merlinboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Merlinboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 8:20am
You just can't compare the 2 boats mate, a 5k is an old heavy skiff and so is the 9er but the 9er is much MUCH faster with bigger fleet (as they are still making it)  The ovi inlands are at Grafham next month, so there will be tons of 9ers b14's i14's mustos there i would have thought.  Crew weight isnt a problem for 9er either and you can pick an old one up cheap now!
Jon Emmett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jon Emmett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 10:02am
I guess the best way to think of it is a 5 tonner is a "boat" whereas a 49er is a "skiff" if that makes sense.
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 11:01am

There are a few at Grafham - Les might still be selling his ! ??

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 1:17pm

Hi Ratface

next season -  depends what you want to do...  blast around, have fun and do some racing; or seriously campaign a boat(which also can be fun!). In the latter case the 49er is probably best - although there are 5000 'enthusiasts' (I included) - there are 5000 events and TASA events as well though probably not as well attended as 49er events.  if new to twin-wire boats, remember it'll take you probably at least 1 season to become competative.

Comparison of the 2 - many will 'dis'the older  and heavy 5000, but there 's  still a lot going for it. Fairly stable, still fast and fun, and relatively cheap compared to similar craft.

The main thing you need to consider is cost and ability.  How skilled you/crew are in twin wiring etc... I boat a 5000 start of this  season  - have had fun so far but definitely don't sail to handicap. but then again I don't really care- bought it primarily for  blasting around rather than racing.  The 49er I believe is a lot more powerful (less forgiving, I've heard some say?) than the 5000 so that's worth bearing in mind.

Also what you're willing to pay.  i.e. there was a  5000 advertised on boatsandoutboards this week for £1000-1500.  For a really good boat you pay max £2500.  49-ers are  considerably more expensive.

On a practical side, if going for 5000 - there's an 8metre Alumium mast (old boat!) with a  fairly large main -  re-righting from a  capasize requires a good bit of effort! 

also - you're aren;t partically heavy - worth checking out the class websites for  weight ranges/settings.

Definitely  try out both if you can.

All the best.

fin.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 07 at 8:36pm
no matter how you look at it a 49er is a much better designed boat than the 5000 ( and thats coming from a 5000 sailor) the 5000 has a gay spinny system that should only be used on crazy boats like 18 foot skiffs and is is pretty heavy with outdated rigging and old materials used to build it, good luck finding a new mast if you snap the one u got!

only buy a 5000 if your on a budget like me, the only reserve i got that 49er sailing doesnt work as well when sailing with different crews because of the mainsheet and the tippy factor.

There are loads of obvious advantages to going for a 49er so i cant be bothered to list them all.
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 07 at 12:44pm
The 49er has a bendy mast that makes life a lot easier than the 5000. It has wings rather than racks so no hole to fall through. The spinnaker system is way, way better than the 5k. It's lighter and faster. Spares are easy to find. The jib self-tacks.

The L5k is cheap, slightly more stable and comparatively more solid.

Get a 49er, if only because the 5000's spinnaker launch/recovery is so awkward.

This may also help

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
catmandoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote catmandoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 07 at 2:58pm

Originally posted by Merlinboy

Crew weight isnt a problem for 9er either and you can pick an old one up cheap now!

Cheap crew how crass

Get a decent one ! , when did they start charging

Edited by catmandoo
combat wombat View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote combat wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 07 at 5:55pm

[QUOTE=Guests]5000 has a gay spinny system that should only be used on crazy boats like 18 foot skiffs [QUOTE]

I think you'll find that chutes are "gay" - as they are easier and only for pansies.  real men sail boats where you have to gather the kite by hand. 

Edited by combat wombat
B14 GBR 772
Smight at BBSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Smight at BBSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 07 at 6:05pm
Where are you going to sail it?
RS600 988
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>