FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

YouthSailing, the RYA and Catamarans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 53>
Author
Sprint Bob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprint Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YouthSailing, the RYA and Catamarans
    Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 12:21pm
I see that the RYA have proposed to ISAF that catamaran sailing is dropped from the ISAF youth sailing from 2009.
They propose that the catamaran class is dropped in favour of the 29er. They propose that the 420 class for both boy & girl is also retained as separate events. The request is hidden in ISAF submission 129-07 which the RYA seems to have not seen fit to share with sailors in the UK.

This means that the only way for prospective catamaran sailors to be developed through the RYA youth programme would be via monohulls. I suggest that people who disagree with this position make their position known to the RYA.

Edited by Sprint Bob
craiggo View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 1:23pm
Bob,

I think this can be interpretted in a couple of ways.

1. Perhaps this is an attempt by the RYA to try and force ISAF to commit to one youth class in the future (Hobie 16 or SL16)

2. Alternatively the RYA may feel that since Brian has walked away from Youth Cat training we havnt got any youngsters with much of a chance in 2009.

I hope the latter is not the case but in the current environment when money is gained through success you can see that the RYA may be trying to retain its standing as supplier of the worlds best trained dinghy sailors.

Paul
Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 2:21pm
Or is it the RYA following suite with our buddies across the water and trying to get the catamaran dropped from the Olympics?????
AdrianM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote AdrianM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 2:25pm

Paul

Not sure 'Brian walked away' tells the whole story.  Where is the current youth cat training programme?  When you look at the actual track record of the sailors that the scheme produced then in terms of medals received per £'s spent by the RYA I would have thought the youth mutihull scheme was just about on top of the pile. 

Congrats on your news btw and can you remove the non club member from the summer results

nacra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote nacra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 2:35pm

Hi have just come back from Weymouth, Outraged about RYA lack of interest in cat sailing,  WHAT IS GOING ON?? Its an insult to ALL cat sailors, Our best results in last ISAF sailing was in Hobie 16. Brian Phipps worked long and hard, to set up a youth sailing scheme.

Whether you sail a Dart 18 at club level, or Tornado at Olympic level, you need to let the RYA know how you feel!!!!!!

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 2:48pm

Does somoene know an appropiate email address to write to ?

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Nessie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 3:07pm
where / who do we best make our concerns felt to?

best if anyone writing to them notes that they not only represent
themselves, but their Club and Region as a whole.

This is spineless nonsense.
Nessie

(I like cats, but i couldn't eat a whole one)
Worthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Worthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 3:41pm
I am tempted to pick up the phone and ask to speak to Rod Carr!!
Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 3:55pm

Originally posted by Nessie

where / who do we best make our concerns felt to?

best if anyone writing to them notes that they not only represent
themselves, but their Club and Region as a whole.

This is spineless nonsense.

Or get every catsailor at your club to write !

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Worthy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Worthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 07 at 4:04pm
We need something in the press showing how horrified we all are.

Can Jeremy Evans write something in the next Y&Y, or someone who has time write a letter to all the main magazines?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 53>