FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 5000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam.s View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam.s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 5000
    Posted: 21 Aug 07 at 8:04pm

What would you say the minimum crew weight you could get away with in a 5k be, would 130ish kg be alright?

Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 07 at 11:55am

Hi Adam

according to the weight-equalisation chart for the L5000 (search around here: http://www.laser5000.lasersailing.com/)  130Kg is at the  very bottom of the  scale for the  boat. 

With such a  light-weight crew, I would not be concerned too much about the weight but  rather if  the crew would be strong enough to handle the boat in stronger  breeze  (F3-4 onwards things start getting  loaded etc).  remember, the spinniker is massive !!!

The other thing is that when capsizing, extra weight is mighty handy having  on the centre-board when righting - there's a  tall (8m) alu mast, and  a big main to act against.   If the crew's  light and inexperienced; capsizing  the 5000 will take a  lot of energy out of you.

I've been sailing  a 5000 this  summer and have had  great fun, but between me and the crew we've a modest/fair amount of weight/strength.  don't let me put you off, but I 'd say you need a bit more. 

Try  posting to the laser5000 forum (see link above)  if you have querries.

/fin.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 07 at 12:30am
the biggest problm on 5ks in sheet loads like fin says. The spinnaker is a real beast to sheet in anything over a force 3, i took a lass out on in a force 3 once and she couldnt sheet the kite in. although was funny watching her try
FireballNeil View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 07 at 9:21pm
You should let the lady drive instead!
Villan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Villan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 07 at 9:28pm
And struggle against the mainsheet loads instead??
Vareo - 149 "Secrets"
TandyUK Servers
FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 07 at 11:06pm
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 07 at 9:24am

The first time I took out my L5000 in a  blow, I discovered quite  how  heavy the loads on the main-sheet can be,  that was until I realised I had threaded the sheet through the racket the wrong way !!!! 

Still,  when sailing off the wind, it takes some  getting  used  holding/playing the  sheet, and holding the till (as well as all the extra sheet) in the  one hand when trapeezing and keep an eye on where we're going, the crew etc...

lady-driver - may be a good idea - women naturally mult-task a lot better than blokes I believe! 

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 07 at 10:10pm
Creep!
Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Fin. View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fin. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 07 at 9:32am

Hi nick...    creep...?      - I don't think so...  think you've misunderstood some harmless humour.

NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 07 at 2:42pm

Think you've misunderstood my harmless humour too!!!!

Best away from humourous remarks about lady drivers and back on thread with 5000s methinks.

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>