FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on a cat for a returning sailor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Nessie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on a cat for a returning sailor
    Posted: 23 Aug 07 at 10:38am
Spitfire is excellent, but Stealth far better suited to single handing

Have single handed Spitfire many times, but design more orientated to
double handing rather than single and double.

Depends on how 'athletic' your waist band is, of course!
Nessie

(I like cats, but i couldn't eat a whole one)
Sprint Bob View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprint Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 07 at 8:36am

Hi,

If you are sailing away from rescue and away from other boats on the sea then the ability to right the boat from a capsize by yourself is key. This means that most of the boats mentioned above are not suitable (Simon - I never saw you capsize your Inter 17at Grafham and not have to call apon the services of a rescue boat. Can you right the Stealth by yourself? I'm sure I have seen you being rescued in that too!). A Dart 18 or Dart 16 are tough to right single handed - but are good 2 man boats. The Shadow is strictly a one man racing boat (but a very good one) and I have never seen a Spitfire sailed single handed (or a Hurricane & it certainly cannot be righted single handed).

You should think seriously about the Sprint 15. It can be easily righted from a capsize singlehanded, it can be sailed 1 or 2 up, it is versatile (can be sailed with a jib and trapeze or una-rig) it light and easy to move around on shore, etc. You can almost buy new for £5K. It is not great for 2 heavyweights in a racing situation but if you are fun sailing it is OK. Anyway have a look at their web site on www.sprint15.com which is very informative and helpful.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by Sprint Bob
Scooby_simon View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 07 at 10:15am

Bob, I Don't see the Sprint 15 as something that will carry 2 adults.

I'd like something which is reasonably rapid, can be sailed singlehandedly but could carry two people, is easy to right if it all goes wrong, and can take the odd bit of rough treatment.

The Inter 17 was a bit of a pig to right, but I can do it.

Stealth is as easy as pie to right - Quick flick and it's back up - with practice I think I could right it without getting wet ! ; The class rules dictate that a F16 (Of which the Stealth is one) must be rightable buy the crew without assistance.  The Stealth F16 has a mast tip weight of the class minimum of 6kg; this is one of the lightest around (An A class is probably about 6.5 to 7kg).  The stealth has the lightest mast around at the moment, possibly excepting the Unicorn with their needlespar. 

Stuart reularly sails his Spitfire at Grafham single handed during the week.  There are a few people sail them "for fun" like this - not sure they can right them.

Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Sprint Bob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprint Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 07 at 10:38am

Hi Simon

Stuart Snell & Linda Moss won the Dart15 Nationals 2-up. I bet they had a combined weight of 130Kg. The same year George & I were 3rd. Two up boats have often been in the top 10 at the Nationals but I agree that it is not great if the people are heavyweights.

Cheers

Bob

PS. Have you never been rescued in the Stealth? I'm sure that you have been when I have been at the Club.

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 07 at 11:17am

Bob,

I once had a rescue boat stand by as I had problems, I also had help once as I was in the middle of the start line - the help was not strictly necessary !

Stop making a big issue of this, it is a non starter.  The Stealth is easily rightable. 

Regarding 2 up.  My dad (about 8 stone) sold his 15 when Ian (about 7 stone at the time) as "not enough power, too slow" and bought a Dart 18.  Can you really suggest a 15 is a good boat for 2 Adults ? 

Edited by Scooby_simon
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 07 at 8:12pm
What about a Hurricane 4.9 - if you can find one.  Can be sailed one or two up, reasonable performance (similar to a D18), centreboards (rather than daggers) and probably about £1000.  Or a nacra 5.2.
http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
welshalex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote welshalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 07 at 2:45pm
HI,

I think the righting issue is down to weight.I would have thought in a fair breeze a crew(1or2) of 90Kgs could right a spitfire, but it would be more like 75Kgs or lower for a stealth.

A
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 07 at 3:17pm

If you are going to ship the boat, then you may want to look at importing an A-Class from Australia. It's a pure racing machine and so may fall foul of your "stand up to a few knocks" criteria. It is also a single hander but there's enough room for a passenger. As you sail on flattish water it will go very well.

I'm not sure it would be the ideal boat for you but, in the interests of completeness, you should consider it.

edit: There's also a Swedish A-class association

Edited by English Dave
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12