FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Projection 762 IRC handicap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Peter Van de Ve View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Van de Ve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projection 762 IRC handicap
    Posted: 08 Jun 07 at 12:47pm

We race a projection 762 in inan irc flrrt which ranges from a dehler 37 to a modified x79. the racing is predominantly around the cans in strong tidal conditions.

The problem we encounter is that no matter how well we sail we do noy get close to our handicap and therefore are always the wrong side of the results. I know in tidal conditions that water line length is important however we have many melges 24 in the fleet who manage very well.

Has anyone made modifications to the rig/hull/keel to improve the performance of this stiff little yacht? our current irc is .971.

Any help/comments will be welcome.

TimC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 07 at 4:09pm

Have you had a look at the thread next to this one?

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2 423&PN=1

Plenty of discussions on optomisation of Projections.

Whereabouts do you have your boat?

Edited by TimC
J92s GBR 9224R "Upstart"
twitter.com/upstart_racing

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Van de Ve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 07 at 4:26pm

Thanks for the reply, we sail in Guernsey, there used to be 4 here but we are the only ones left. The boat is very simple with an oversized pole and kite. We are unable to compete against X332 and x362 but try our best. What do you think about taking lead out of the keel as the boat is too stiff we carry no1 in 20knots?

great sea boat, it doeas get very rough here but we only seem competitive when it is blowing 20knots plus.

Have you played with the rig? what are your settings?

Regards Peter

Oli View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 07 at 4:39pm

if anything keep the weight in the keel, reduce your pole length and spinnaker size (about 40m2) and reduce headsail sizethen get re-rated.  this and more is all said in the thread tim has pointed out, unfortunately your gonna have to play catch up and read the whole thing to to get the best bits of info.

hope it all helps.

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 07 at 5:46am

Originally posted by Peter Van de Ve

What do you think about taking lead out of the keel as the boat is too stiff we carry no1 in 20knots?

Since you don't take any penalty in IRC for stability, that isn't a route to IRC optimisation. There's really no such thing as "too stiff" in IRC. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Peter Van de Ve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 07 at 9:39am

Stephan

The objective is to have more boat speed, the summer breezes are predoninantly 10-15 knots. I was wondering what the effect of taking 100-200 kilos out of the keel rather than the bulb at the bottom.

This would help us not stick in the light stuff and get us planing earlier but i think would not effect the rating too much.

Do you find it difficult to compete with larger yachts on handicap?

Peter

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 07 at 12:07pm

Taking weight out will increase your rating (assuming you report it, which you should). I very much doubt it is a good idea in IRC. As others have said, optimising the sailplan is more likely to be successful.

I don't own a 762, although I have sailed on one. I have raced other sportsboat types in IRC and it is normally hard to beat larger boats in medium conditions.

Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 07 at 4:50pm

Having recently consulted a sailmaker (of no little repute) here on the east coast, and comissioned him to suplly new sails; we have now measured the boat and compared what can fit against the very old sails that came with the boat (seems that they had srunk over the ten years since they were made (albeit they have only been used for about 5 years) Our 2007 rating came about due to the very short luff of the jib measured at easter. No doubt we will see a revised IRC certicate number more in line with every other 762 once the new sails are made and measured.  I shall be asking the rating office to recalculate once I know the numbers myself......

F Word View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote F Word Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 11 at 11:50am
10 year old sails?

Maybe the answer is there.  I have owned a PJ for 3 years and the 12 knot bracket can be frustrating.  However the boat feels like it is going really well in 12 knots, the handicap is hard to sail to in these wind strengths. HOWEVER...

It is all too easy to get too obsessed with the boat.  There PJ can beat any boat on its day.  What about your crew and the way you are sailing her?  I would advise concentrating on that.  Get slicker and take out the mistakes.  DO you think Ben AInslie would lose to X332's on your PJ?  I doubt it.  Having been there we just lived with the boat a bit (although rating is .955!!)  and really got slick.  If you read the forum you can see how to reduce you rating somewhat, but it costs....

The "F" Word
brys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote brys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 11 at 9:23am
It is frustrating for owners of boats like the PJ to see other types of boats that are not being sailed to the best of standards (no slick routines etc) beating them every weekend no matter what the conditions due to to the inequalities and inadequacies of the handicaping system. 
We had a crew of pretty good young guns who were pretty slick most of the time, but could not save time against boats who thought the downwind leg was for brewing up tea and serving cakes on plates! Generally seen to screw up with slow kite hoists, broaches and loads of leeway etc.

The IRC gurus just don't seem to wish to encourage small planing yachts. The TP52/42 type hulls are fine they do OK, but they are large Formula one boats owner by corporations and the mega rich. Sadly, down amongst the cheap seats the handicap pendulum swings always to the 4 knot "s" box type.
Never enough time for sailing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>