FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

getting aboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
kenney View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: getting aboard
    Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 6:23pm

Hi forum.

Im 19 years old, I have worked and played in the yachting industry for a number of years now crewing/skippering large cruiser/racers, and afew months ago was thrilled to pass Yachtmaster offshore (one of those 'weekends from hell'!!!)

Ive now got this funny little itch to get on one of these fappin fast pond skaters, scare the s**t out of myself and get really wet!!!!!!! Oh yessss.  The thing is guys ive never tried dinghy sailing, I dont know anything about it or anyone whose got one.  I may have the cash lying around for a cheap one if i try hard enough.  Im also a fit but well built 13 stone, does this cause a problem? what sort of boat shall i go for guys? and how do I get into this sport?? ps anyone from the solent/hamble river area? gimme a shout.

Any help will be great guys,

Cheers

Its like standing under a cold shower tearing up £50 notes.
Garry View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 5:17pm
read Crewing to win by Andy Hemmings and then go to your local club with a large dinghy contingent - Stokes bay, itchenor of Hayling spring to mind if you're near and see if you can find a 505, International 14 to crew
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

www.cuckoos.eclipse.co.uk
kenney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 04 at 2:22pm

Thanks garry ill look into it.  Ive seen that book about, so should be no probs getting a copy.  As it happens my next door neighbour has just taken possesion of a Laser SB3 and has asked me to buy myself a wetsuit for christmas.  They look like good fun!

Thanks again.

K.

Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 04 at 10:11pm
If you have the money and want to sail wet boats all year round go for a drysuit .
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

Doctor Clifford View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doctor Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 04 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Garry

If you have the money and want to
sail wet boats all year round go for a drysuit .

In the South of England? Only if you are a fairy!
regards
Dr. Clifford

take two tablets twice daily
Coolhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Coolhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 04 at 8:26am
You don't need a wetsuit on an SB3 - they're a keelboat so, unless you fall off, the gear you have for Yachts will be fine.

Edited by Coolhand
Garry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 04 at 11:39am
Kenny started off by saying he wanted to sail a 'Fast pond Skater' that implies at least a risk of capsize from time to time.  I assume the SB3 is just going to be one of many classes he tries and, if you can afford it! A drysuit has just the edge on comfort, especially in the winter. 
Garry

Lark 2252, Contender 298

kenney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote kenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 04 at 2:43pm

I think moneys the real issue!!  A wet suit will be fine i guess.  I do have a very good pair of ocean foulies, except i really think they were intended for use aboard a yacht, theyre abit cumbersome at times, even using them working fore deck on a Sigma 38 can be difficult! (although we were being tossed around like a toy in a bath tub by my old friend the Bay of Biscay. - just in case the old girls listening to this: look after me and i promise; No more apple cores!)

Anyway, I used to 'dry-sail' (a series of lauch and recoveries including a scrub once a week to keep them out of the water when not racing) SB3's, 1720's, and Hunter 707's, now, correct me if i'm wrong (and you'll probably need to) but the SB's had a lifting keel, which was more a-kin to a daggerboard in my eyes (although they do have the bulbous lead bottom) so to me the SB is a dinghy, and the likes of the Cork 1720 is a keel boat as they have bolted fin keels very similar to alot of cruiser-racing yachts, as do the 70's, any thoughts guys??

K

Matt Lingley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Lingley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 04 at 10:00pm

An SB3 is a keelboat, if a lift keel means a boat is a dingy a Melges 24 must be a dingy too. You dont even hike on an SB3! At 13 stone look for a crewing spot on an Rs400, that will be fast enough for you to start with but not be a million miles from what your used to, everytime i step on  a J80 I still think that its a big 400!

Interesting to come across somone who is going from big boats to dinghy's, I'm also 19 and have been working the other way...Trying to get some offshore rides now!

If it dosn't blow it sucks!
Adam84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adam84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 04 at 9:09pm

Crewing is definatly the way to start. The RS400 is a good idea its a big dinghy but it can get goin pritty quick! The 59er would also be a good boat to have a go in if ya can find someone with one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>