FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New ISAF rule on quick release harnesses.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
hurricane View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New ISAF rule on quick release harnesses.
    Posted: 26 Nov 04 at 7:43pm

the other question is will they say to us

you must wear your trapeze harness on the outside of your life jacket, because i know i dont!!! and i prefer it that way!!

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 04 at 7:58am

Of course there is another option to the QR hook -
that would be a QR harness.

It would mean that you would have to wear the harness
over the top of all of your clothes. 3 clips of the
variety used on your sailing bag carry straps should
do it.

I do wear my harness over the top of my buoyancy aid - I would prefer to have the option of at least trying to get out of my harness if trapped.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Martin Smethers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Martin Smethers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 7:22pm
As yet, there is no definition from ISAF as to what will satisfy the requirements of being a "quick release harness".  Until the minutes of the recent meetings are published, we are all playing a guessing game.

Edited by Martin Smethers
Martin Smethers
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 9:30pm

Surely the definition of what is a QR harness should have been included in the rule!

redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 9:46pm
I can't understand this obsession with the hook.  Everybody who has done a bit of trapezeing knows where the hook is and clears it automatically when they feel it catching.  A much greater danger are all the buckles which some of the harnesses have.  I know from experience that a rope can get caught around a buckle and as the boat inverts it drags you under and its no use carrying a knife because you don't have time the find out which buckle, which rope.  The answer is the simplest cleanest harness that can be made and these extra quick release pins are just one more thing to get caught.
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 04 at 9:56pm

these extra pins also can be pulled and thus dropping you into the water and probably leading to a capsize and could put the other sailor in danger!

john.d.knight View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote john.d.knight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 1:24pm
After reading all the comments about how dangerous these trapeze harnesses are you may find that, after fox hunting and smoking, trapezing will be next on the banning list for this government. 
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 5:04pm

Note that any focus on the hook is because of previous comments here (probably driven by awareness of products already on sale) but the rule doesn't mention hooks.

In a Contender (The Ultimate Singlehander by the way) and I assume other single-handed trapeze boats in winds more than F4 it's hard to generate enough speed to tack without being on the wire. So if you have just hacked your harness off or jettisoned the hook you'd have difficulty sailing upwind.

The wording is poor as other people have pointed out and I think there is every intention to word it better. For a start I reckon I could get out of my (non QR) harness in about 20 seconds which is pretty quick so there would need more of a definition of quick release!

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
redback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote redback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 04 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Matt Jackson

In a Contender (The Ultimate Singlehander by the way) and I assume other single-handed trapeze boats in winds more than F4 it's hard to generate enough speed to tack without being on the wire. So if you have just hacked your harness off or jettisoned the hook you'd have difficulty sailing upwind.

Now that could be dangerous - I'd rather risk a conventional harness.

hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 04 at 3:42pm

Originally posted by john.d.knight

After reading all the comments about how dangerous these trapeze harnesses are you may find that, after fox hunting and smoking, trapezing will be next on the banning list for this government. 

when will be be banned from going sailing???

and do you think that eventually we will be banned from living?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>