FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GBR Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
coiler View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote coiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GBR Challenge
    Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 8:28am

Hi,

I hope Mark Jardine is OK with me putting this up!

I am very concerned that GBR Challenge is on the verge of pulling out of the next Americas Cup.

The GBR programme has been running since 2000, if the team is disbanded then we will lose all of this progress and more in the years to come.In 2003 GBR was the first British entry for 15 years.

Britain has produced some fantastic sailing talent as shown by being the top nation at successive Olympic Games. Our development programme run by the RYA is second to none.

If GBR Challenge is not representing us at the 'World Cup' of short course racing I for one, think it will be shameful.

I feel that the Government should help out with some of the funding, if you agree I have set up an easy way to get your MP to debate this in Parliament.

If Yachts and Yachting want to run that article they can with my thanks and no charge!

Coiler

http://www.bangthecorner.com
Phil eltringham View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 10:31am
Much as I agree with the sentiment, I do not think that government funding is the way forward, if nothing else there are too many far more important things that the money could be spent on (however badly the country is run i would rather not have my taxes going on the AC when there are so many other problems to deal with).  Sorry it sounds a bit heavy, just my POV.
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
Coolhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Coolhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 10:48am

I agree with Phil - it's a very valid cause but Goverment funding would be inappropriate.

It's will be a awful shame if Corporate UK is so too short sighted to see the value in backing a Challenge and keeping at least some of the momentum.

coiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote coiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 10:57am

ok

you are entitled to your views but the Government (and the National Lottery) does use funds to back sport:

Olympic Bid,RYA, etc etc

If the Government backed the bid, not all of it but some of it, it would have the following effect.

1. It would allow GBR Challenge to continue and have a very strong marketing position.

2. Private companies who want to scratch the Gov. back can see that this is a way to do so.

coiler

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 11:28am

Originally posted by coiler

I am very concerned that GBR Challenge is on the verge of pulling out of the next Americas Cup.I feel that the Government should help out with some of the funding, if you agree I have set up an easy way to get your MP to debate this in Parliament.

Think about how this would play in the mainstream media. Mrs Jones has been waiting 6 months for her hip replacement. On the other hand, the government is funding a few yotties to sail big boats in sunny places.

It's not going to happen, is it? And rightly so.

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 11:32am

I do not agree with Government funding or lottery funding which should be for good causes or amatuer teams.

The Americas Cup is very professional in its approach and appearance. You could say it is in line with football. There would be massive uproar if Man Utd got lottery funding and I think it is the same with the America's Cup.

It has been said elswhere that this is a game for Billionaires - we just need to find one.

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
coiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote coiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 11:41am

yacht racing in the national press, now that would be a novelty!

one of the reasons that we have been the top nation in the last two Olympics is the lottery funding.

and lets be honest our olympic sailors are not exactly amateurs and they aspire to be in the AC ask Ben Ainslie or Ian Percy.

I agree that funds should be made availiable for 'grass roots' sailing but it is pointless if you can't grow into a tree.

coiler

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 1:20pm

Originally posted by coiler

I agree that funds should be made availiable for 'grass roots' sailing but it is pointless if you can't grow into a tree.

I'd say the opposite. I support government and lottery funding for "sport for all", in particular to help people who don't come from sailing families to enter the sport. But professionals should stand on their own feet. If Ben Ainslie wants to compete in the AC, good luck to him, but I really don't see why the taxpayer should foot the bill. Unfortunately if the government paid for everyone's dream lifestyle, there would be nobody left working to actually pay for it. I'm not opposed to lottery funding for Olympic campaigns but the cost of those is a minute fraction of the budget of an AC campaign.

Contender443 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender443 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 1:35pm

Here Here Stefan

Exactly how many Olympic campaigns could you subsidise for the cost of one AC Team?

Work that out and you will see why the AC will never get Lottery Funding.(and must not get it )

Bonnie Lass Contender 1764
Lucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 04 at 1:47pm

You'd be suprised how much a four year olympic campaign works out at! Especially for Yngling and Star sailors. The money supplied by the lottery is still only a fraction of that cost and the Olympic Sailors still need to rely on the Corporate sponsors.

The AC will always be cheque book sailing - anyone spoken to Mr Branson recently?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>