FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Moving on...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Harry44981! View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving on...
    Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 5:08pm

I'm thinking about moving out of toppers after this next year, but thinking about the move early.

I'm bout 165 cm, 8 stone now, but i'm reckoning  i'll be taller and heavier (by a lot! ) by next year a t my current growth rate!!!!. I was going to say what kinds of boat wanted help with but i think if i say what i want from tthe boat then that might give me a better picture for you guys to suggest something

• Not too bothered about speed as long as it's faster than a topper
  • Has to be fun to sail!
  • Large fleet (50+ min. at the nationals)
  • A growing class
  • Preferably feeding into a bigger class eg rs200 to 400
  • Strong youth scene
  • 8 to 9 stone plus helm, with maaybe 10 stone crew
  • Doublehander
  • Be able ti fit on a lake the size of leigh and lowton in the north west if you know it.

If you can't think of anything just say a singlehander because thats another option for me!

Thanks for your help!

Scooby_simon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scooby_simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 5:15pm
Budget ?
Wanna learn to Ski - PM me..
Harry44981! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Harry44981! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 5:18pm

oh yeh erm under £7000 with not to much maintainng cost

Phil eltringham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Phil eltringham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 5:56pm
29er, RS200, Scorpion, just to start with, but your best place to start is the trusty racing classes review in Y&Y
FLAT IS FAST!
Shifts Happen
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 6:31pm
laser, i know it's always the answer to everyone's 'which boat' but it seems to fit what you want. with a 7k budget u can afford to buy all rigs and decide on the day which is most apropriate to use.

otherwise 29er if you wanted doublehander. check with the rya to get their youth classes but definatly laser radial and i think 4.7 are in their.
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 7:02pm

7k you could buy 2 lasers for that

why not get a laser and go halfs withsome one on a 29er then you get the bests of both worlds!!!

sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 7:21pm
hmm, sounds good, but make sure they are very reliable!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
hurricane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hurricane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 7:29pm
em the way round getting people to turn up is to say if you dont turn up i will get someone else to sail with me even if you own half of the boat!!!!!!
Brian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 04 at 9:44pm
iansmithofotley View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote iansmithofotley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 04 at 12:21am

Hi Harry,

I noticed that you are 14.5 years old and sail at Redesmere.  I also noticed that your results have been getting better in the Topper.  You have not stated, and I do not know, whether or not you are in any of the zone or national 'squads'.  It also looks as though you are considering changing clubs, i.e. to Leigh & Lowton.

Personally, I think that bearing in mind your age, height, weight, results and experience you could consider sailing the Topper for another year with goals to get into one of the regional 'squads', achieve a top ten position in one of the nationals, achieve a top three position in the regional travellers and win an open meeting, all by the end of 2005. You could even do a similar thing the following year and you would still be only 16.  When you are 16, as you say, you will be much taller and heavier and will then have more options e.g. Laser or Laser Radial. 

If you are intent on sailing a double handed boat then you could consider the usual youth classes of 420 or 29'er, both of which you could sail at Leigh & Lowton.  In the north, the RS 200 is becoming very popular and there is a good open meeting circuit run by Mike Saul.  I am not sure that there are many at L & L as the RS double handed hiking boats tend to be 400's which, I would suggest, would be far too powerful for you, in a blow, at the moment.

Don't forget that if you are to get a double handed boat, you will need to get a crew who is as enthusiastic, reliable and committed as you are.

I think that you need to consider which route you want to go down - the RYA route, the NSSA route or the Class Open Meetings route.  In the latter, obviously there will be more adults and less youths, except in the Toppers and Radials.  That's the good thing about sailing, you can do just what you want to do. Another  good thing is that you have time on your side.

If you are going to do alot of sailing at one club, then it is good to sail a class which is popular at that club. In the Topper you can sail at either of the clubs with which you are involved.

At your age, you are also going to be taking alot of exams at school in the next couple of years or so which might affect the sailing of yourself and your crew.

You could consider getting advice from the Northern RYA racing coach who might be able to help and assess your abilities and potential.  At my club a coach has recently been assisting two lads from Ripon who have changed from Toppers to a 29'er.

In the end, it's your decision.  I hope that this helps.

Ian   (Yorkshire Dales S.C.)

Edited by iansmithofotley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>