FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can Meteorology win races?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can Meteorology win races?
    Posted: 11 May 07 at 11:56am
I'd second that as Bethwaite has done a fair bit of research as an aviator as well as a sailor. There are a lot of books based on personal experience by great sailors, although the only ones that I take notice of are the ones with actual scientific research to back up the knowledge forwarded in the book. Bethwaite does this quite well as he is quite explicit about his wind tunnel research without getting bogged down in making it into a technical Journal. I can second guess the weather quite acurately in the region where I sail but I wouldn't claim I'm an expert due to spotting trends which I think some books verge on.  
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 07 at 12:18pm

Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

No: we should rely on actual research, such as Bethwaite's. 

Perhaps I'll dust off my copy ... I have to say I found it rather heavy going last time I looked ...

MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 07 at 10:50pm
It was harder going than any of the textbooks I read for my engineering degree. However, with every page having its (eventual) focus on winning races, it can still be more enjoyable!

I am currently re-reading his cloud chapter and think I need to go back over it again, making notes! This smacks of higher education far too much, but if I can eventually understand it....
Chew my RS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 07 at 8:19am

I love the fact that the Bethwaite book is three in one - wind/water patterns, boat design and how to sail (well). Of these, I find the wind/water part much the hardest to follow and it is the least read part of my book (which has a permanent place on my bedside table - sad eh?). I do like the his concept of the Stability Index (whether the wind will be random or predictable on a given day), and am quite suprised that I have never heard anyone else ever talk about it.

Is it rue he is working on a second book?

http://www.sailns14.org - The ultimate family raceboat now available in the UK
M A Rand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote M A Rand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 07 at 9:55pm
If you read Bethwaite's book closely he cites the author of wind strategy for the idea of the stability index.  There is very good data to support Houghton and Campbell's conclusions although you may not be privy to it. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 07 at 8:47am

Originally posted by M A Rand

If you read Bethwaite's book closely he cites the author of wind strategy for the idea of the stability index.  There is very good data to support Houghton and Campbell's conclusions although you may not be privy to it. 

You mean it's classified?

Stuart O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stuart O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 07 at 8:59am
Either that or the Chinese confiscated it as spy material!!!!
DiscoBall View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote DiscoBall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 07 at 9:08pm
Bethwaites book is certainly the most useful around at present - I really enjoy dipping into it ...to see where I went wrong  in todays race...

I remember Eddie Warden-Owen giving a strategy talk at the london boat show a few years back and he certainly regurgitated the 'wind bends across coastlines' type of advice.  I guess sailings complexity tends to make it difficult to pin down which factors make someone fast which means that good helms and boat tuners often end up ahead even though their Met knowledge isn't that great.
MerlinMags View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Quote MerlinMags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 11:02am
Are there two issues of Bethwaites book? To save me hunting Amazon for ages can anyone tell me which year the updated version came out?

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 07 at 11:23am

The latest edition I have is 1996 which has a photo of an upturned 49er at the back.  The earlier edition (1993?) doesn't have this.  The current copy has a new cover, but I think the content is the as per 1996.  Whilst it is, IMHO, the best book on dinghy design and sailing published (where's your book 249?!), it is outdated, factually incorrect and a bit self-centered in some areas. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>