FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Global Yacht Racing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emily View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Yacht Racing
    Posted: 18 Nov 04 at 3:37pm

Hi,Has anyone heard of this new company in Southampton? I am thinking of doing the fastnet with them in 2005. I was going to do the Hobart in December on their 60 footer Eureka II but just couldn't get the time. It looks fantastic though and I was gutted that I had to drop out it would have been the ultimate christmas holiday! I just wanted to know if anybody had any useful info before I booked the Fastnet. Their website looks really good, have a look it's www.globalyachtracing.com. Any advice about the Fastnet would be great too. Cheers.

Em.

Lucy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Lucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 04 at 4:47pm

To be honest, I've never heard of them and I work in the Race yacht charter business and generally know a fair bit about our main competitors. Considering a few charter companies have gone under recently ( Formula 1, MEC sail etc) it doesn't suprise me that this one has popped up. Be careful though because it sounds like they don't actually own the boats they're offering to you. Quite often these companies will offer places on these races and get in touch with a charter company and add 10% for their troubles. Research into it and try to deal with Charter companies, who control their own boats, directly.

With the Fastnet in mind - make sure you get a decent package ie. ensure that qualifying races are included in the price, plus sea survival and a training weekend. The rules of the Fastnet state that the crew must complete a number of qualifying races together on the boat beforehand and 50% of the crew must have their sea survival. This could be a hidden cost.

Good Luck, and feel free to message me if you want anymore advice.

Lucy

Emily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Emily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 04 at 7:01pm

Thanks for that Lucy, lots of help. do you have your own yacht charter business? What is the name of it? And who would you reccomend that I do the Fastnet with?

I am still keen on Global Yacht Racing because I have had their info package today and they do offer the lead up races, plenty of training and all crew have to do the safety and sea survival which is included in the price. what do you reckon?I

I have also checked out thier director Andy Middleton, who a friend of mine knows and he says that he is agreat guy with lots of qualifications and expeirence. My mate did a Flying Fish course with him when Andy was their school principal out in Oz and aparently he is now an RYA instructor examinor. Do you know him?

cheers,

Em.

Post Reply Post Reply