FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turning corners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Mark R View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turning corners
    Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 10:03am
The next "troubleshooting" feature in Yachts and Yachting concerns mark
roundings. Does anyone have any specific questions/problems they would
like to see discussed?
Mark
Mark R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mark R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 10:07am
My spinnaker drops are good, my speed is OK, but every time I come round
the leeward mark, the boat ahead is on my wind, and the one behind is
stopping me from tacking. How can I stop this happening?
Mark
Pierre View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 10:54am

Yes.  Fastest way to tack an Osprey please.  Not being funny, I think I know the answer, but may be missing something.  Sometimes I tack at speed and accelerate well the other side.  Other times the whole damn thing slows down, usually as a result of me trying too hard to steer the boat with leeward heel. My instinct is to blame the crew, but I may have something to do with this. 

First thoughts are that it tacks fine if I don't try too hard.  Your thoughts sir.....

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 11:50am

Gybing an asymmetric in big winds.

I've done it perfectly on occasion, and I've completely messed up on the next. The line seems very thin between the ideal rate of turn where the boat carves smoothly round and the mainsail has no load in it, and the two alternatives of 'too fast followed by a broach', and 'too slow, everthing loads up and the main won't come across'.

I just take comfort from the Merricks & Walker video where they decide to abort a gybe to remind myself that even the best don't get it right all the time. That said, they wouldn't drop it in when I do!

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 12:36pm
The other thing that would be useful is how to avoid mark traps and getting stuck when being the inside boat (and how much room you can legitimately claim).

Also how about when you are behind how to get to windward on the rounding, showing the coin from both sides.

Paul
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Barty View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 1:00pm
It would be great if in each article there were some exercises explained (with diagrams!) for people to practice mark rounding, starts etc during training sessions.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 3:31pm
i could do with some help in my 29er =/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRzNZ4fqvA

FireballNeil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote FireballNeil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 3:34pm
How to tack a double hander with single trapeze in wiring conditions without slowing down loads!! As Pierre sais it occasionally goes well and holds the speed but others it just stops!
Neil

HannahJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HannahJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 6:15pm
nice dive sailorboi
also: I've been told that in big winds it's easiest to gybe when going at high speed, but i find it difficult to move the rudder then, and always wait for lulls.  When i do manage a gybe at speed, it's always very violent with the boom whacking across and the boat often slewing up to windward

Edited by HannahJ
MIRROR 64799 "Dolphin"
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist hopes it will change; the realist adjusts the sail
MRJP BUZZ 585 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote MRJP BUZZ 585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 07 at 6:25pm
Were you helm or crew sailor boi?
Josh Preater

BUZZING IS FUN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>