FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team Origin (GBR)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Contender 541 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team Origin (GBR)
    Posted: 12 Jan 07 at 1:44pm

Originally posted by MRJP BUZZ 585

Wait for it, you will be targeted by the spelling and grammar police

I read that and thought exactly the same

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 07 at 1:46pm
Hehehe!

Hola Hurricane!! Well it just happens that i'm living an hours drive from Valencia! So who do i support now, GBR or ESP!?!
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
Franky_gbr52R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Franky_gbr52R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 07 at 4:24pm
GBR all the way :p
Looking for work placements for the summer!
Bring on the fastnet
sailor girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailor girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 07 at 4:25pm
Maybe a t.shirt with GBR on one side and ESP on the other!?
Sailor Girl, Queen Of The Forum!
farmerwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote farmerwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 07 at 9:07pm

GBR are useually a good sailing nation so why arnt we as good at americas cup??

They call me a farmer becuse im from dorset and listen to the 'Wurzels'! oooh aarrr!
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 07 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by farmerwest

... can think of about $50 million reasons why GB hasn't come close to NZ, USA or SUI yet..... or should that be $150m????
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
snoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote snoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 11:54am
we're a great fleet racing nation and our match racing is on the rise, but we have work to do yet!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 07 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by farmerwest

Never put a decent campaign together.

The sailors have always been addicted to the "Give me an equal boat and I'll do the rest" philosophy, which matches well with a big ego but matches less well when the opposition turn up with Australia 2 or Stars and Stripes.

The design teams have never been quite up to it. Its been a long time since a British designer has been truly world class at large boats.

And yes, the money is often difficult, but the DeSavary campaigns, for instance, were financed adequately.
getafix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote getafix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 07 at 2:12pm
disagree that we don't have the design ability in big boats, Owen/Clarke [team] are world class in IMOCA, Irens is world class in Multihulls, we have great designers in IRC and One Design and we have world class facilities for tank testing, modelling etc... as for structural engineering, materials engineering and composite building ... why are so may top F1 teams located in UK?

... it's pulling this together and funding it that's been the stumbling block of the AC efforts GB has attempted to stage over the last 30+ years.

What Origin need to do is pull together the facilities, once our top design/engineering/sailing talent sees there is a real base for success then they'll flock to the cause but without it?  can't see top GB sailors climbing over each other to get to an empty shed on the IOW with a nice looking model of an AC yacht in and a bunch of "we hope to" statements on a website.

I'd argue that in the past GB challenges the search for funding took up too much time (and focus) of the top guys in the team, if they'd had more time to manage the program and tie together the hugely disparate fields of experts you need to compete at this level then we'd have done better.

The sailing itself isn't incidental, but the program must produce technology that has a positive pschycological effect on our sailors and the competitors (did Alinghi win the 1st time against NZ on the water or partly also on land??)

....course, I could just be waffling to get out of going back to work
Feeling sorry for vegans since it became the latest fad to claim you are one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12