FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ton Cups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3793 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 3793 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ton Cups
    Posted: 23 Nov 06 at 12:03pm
Okay so I know for a few years now they've been running the Quater Ton Cup again. I only just found out, beacuse I came on the forum and saw somebodys signature that there doing a Half Ton Cup again as well. Dose anybody know of any plan or if they are racing Three- Quater Tonners and One Tonners anywhere?

At Falmouth week IRC 2 was all IOR boats apart from a Benteau 31 and 3 Projection 762s. Alot of people defaintly felt the IOR boats should be in there own class as its hard to compete with boats that rate similarly and plane off wind once it gets up!

Cheers if anybody knows anything!

Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 06 at 4:22pm

It's not "really" the quarter-ton or half-ton cup. Those were run on a level rating basis under IOR, under the aegis of the ORC. These new events are run under by clubs that have decided to revive the event. The boats must have measured as 1/4 or 1/2 ton under IOR at some point but they are racing under IRC, not level rating. It's great to see these boats racing again but don't confuse a "tribute band" with the original thing, even if it is note-perfect.

I'm not aware of an equivalent 3/4 ton event: there were never so many around. The one ton cup went to the Corel 45 class in the late 90s but AFAIK the event is no longer being run.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
 Post Reply Post Reply