FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Working Abroad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KnightMare View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote KnightMare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working Abroad
    Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 11:29am

yeah definatly apply for minorca sailing - great place.

The atmosphere was good when I was out there, I know a few people who didnt find it great when doing a whole saeason but I have heard the same from people at sunsail etc as well.

If you do apply for other companies check how much time you will have to spend with the clients 'after work' in minorca it is about 2 nights a week - (first and last night and a few people have to do the 2nd night) but at other companies I know that you have to spend most evenings with them.

Depends if your going out for excessive boozing or great equiment - not that minorca is short on the boozing front...

SetSail View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote SetSail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 10:13am
Having worked abroad a few times, and going off again in.....24 days, can't tell u how good it is. Yachts, dinghies, anything, go do it.

As for applying  for a job, early application is a good idea, but also a phone call so they know who you are, and possibly a visit at next boat show. Make yourself known basically.

Time for a plug, Setsail flotila holidays from a company that likes to preserve the personal touch. See you in Turkey.

www.setsail.co.uk, couldn't add hyperlink for some reason?
RS821 - Now for sale, PM for details
Al Black View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Al Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 07 at 1:34am
Originally posted by English Dave

Most companies have rules concerning sleeping with clientele (aka the holidaymakers). So dont get caught.  

Also known as broaching cargo!

Al.
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 06 at 7:49pm
No, I was at Blue water sailing, but we visited ICC many times. Blue Arcadia was condemned soon after I left, I believe, so it's not been there for years, but I had such a good time there. I worked with a guy who had the same B/day as me, though he started a bit earlier than me: I met a girl there that I spent 13 years with, and we often went back. One year we were walking up Salcombe High Street (whatever it was called!) on my birthday, and we met him. He was so proud that he'd just done his first waterstart (windsurfing) on his 70'th birthday! I guess I was in my late 20's at the time, so he's probably long dead ( I will be 48 next birthday). One day I must do Salcombe week.... 
foaminatthedeck View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote foaminatthedeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 06 at 10:32pm

Rob Im guessing that you worked for the ICC. I've just finished there in september after 3 great years. The place is still going strong. I did the sunsail thing but had a much better time overall there, having said that I wouldnt have given up my two years drinking for anything.

Lark 2170
Rob.e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rob.e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 06 at 9:40pm

Many years ago I had a few great years teaching in this country. It's a bit more secure and can be as much fun as going abroad: Salcombe was stunning, and I still go back- we're going back ther for xmas in fact, 22 years on!

English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 06 at 1:16pm

Worked for Sovereign Sailing which is now Neilson in Porto Heli, Greece about 14 years ago. Work and the atmosphere was great, accomodation less so (we had digs with locals). Pay rubbish. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!

Most companies have rules concerning sleeping with clientele (aka the holidaymakers). So dont get caught.  

English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
RyanLWB2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RyanLWB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 06 at 6:34pm

I was in Greece with Sunsail (club Vounaki) for two weeks in July, on holiday, this year. I would seriously consider them, all of the staff there were really cool and loved what they were doing. They seemed really well organised and were well equipped.

...plus we got hammered with the staff when they got off work every night in Paleros there!

Good luck, I'm jealous! Ryan.

Contender 541 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Contender 541 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 06 at 9:03am

I think there are a few here who will tell you the same - Menorca.  Look in the back of the mag, and you will find them

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's probably best not to stir it - Pointy Haired Boss

Crew on 505 8780

jpbuzz591 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jpbuzz591 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 06 at 10:05pm

Hi I am hoping to go and work abroad next summer for someone like sunsail. I have told to get my application in early and was wondering which is the best company for staff and is well equipped.

thanks

Jp Indoe
Contender 518
Buzz591
Chew Valley Sailing club
Bristol
 Post Reply Post Reply