FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Projection 762 Help please?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 86>
Author
tgruitt View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote tgruitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projection 762 Help please?
    Posted: 11 Dec 06 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Stefan Lloyd

I used to run a class association website and found that most marine photographers were happy to let you use their photos so long as 1. you asked first and 2. you acknowleged their copyright.

Incidentally almost everything is copyright, whether it explicity says so or not. In UK law you don't need to register for copyright protection in order for it to apply. 

This is true.
I know i have a few shots of Projections that I took this year. Whoever this applies to if you email me at tom@fotoboat.com then i will send you some if you need. All I ask is a credit and that you ask permission!
Needs to sail more...
j hasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote j hasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 06 at 11:27pm

hi, i am in the process of acquiring a projection from hamble and i will be bringing the boat to ireland for irc racing. hi, as everyone seems to have 40sqm kites we should use those for closer class racing. the original class sized spinnaker was 50sqm which would be looked on quite favourable by irc. i think a rating appeal for the 762 is also in order, from all of us.

TimC View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 06 at 3:24pm

I've still got the original kite with my boat (8 years old!) and that's a 50sqm. My others are two 40s and a 30.

Does anybody here use an asy? The 762 which raced (successfully) out of our marina a few years ago went for 2 asys (large & small) and a symmetric - used asys most of the time I gather.

Spent far too much on the boat so far but one is on the shopping list for the future!

J92s GBR 9224R "Upstart"
twitter.com/upstart_racing
j hasson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote j hasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 06 at 3:39pm

HI,

HAVEN SPOKEN TO A SAILMAKER ABOUT THE SPINNAKER HE SAID THAT TO FLY A LARGE ASSY KITE YOU WOULD NEED TO HAVE A POLE LENGTH OF 3.5 METERS. THIS IS THE ORIGINAL LENGTH OF POLE SUPPLIED WITH THE OLDER MODELS WHEN THEY WERE ATTEMPTING TO MAKE THE 762 A ONE DESIGN ( I THINK). I WOULD GUESS THAT RATING A POLE LENGTH SUCH AS THIS WOULD BRING HER RATING TO 0.980 REGION.

chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 06 at 10:46am
I've been trying to register for Y&Y forums for a while (finally sorted out today). We have just taken delivery of Projection 762 'Hobbes Express' (sail number 7636) which would seem to indicate that at least 36 were built! This one was built by Rowan Composites in 1998 and although we're not planning to put her in the water until March she'll be based on the Forth in Scotland. I suspect that having just bought the boat we won't be travelling this coming season but I feel strongly that starting a class association is the way to go. With regard to one design racing I believe the issue is how strict to make the criteria (ie rather than specifying a particular sail area it could be expressed as a maximum), the important thing being getting the thing off the ground! The aim would then be to standardise sail areas through the natural turnaround as individual owners replace their sails. I don't know how practicable this is but it is a suggestion...
Stefan Lloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Stefan Lloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 07 at 8:22am

[QUOTE=chic] which would seem to indicate that at least 36 were built!...[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. Some numbers in the range might already have been in use and some sail numbers may never have been used. The highest sail number in a class is not in most cases a reliable indicator of the number of boats built. This subject has been discussed a number of times here.

Edited by Stefan Lloyd
*GM* View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote *GM* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 07 at 1:55pm
Good luck with the new boat Chic - are you going to keep her at DB?
DOUGk911 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote DOUGk911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 07 at 3:00pm

Re sail numbers ,

I don't suppose the 762 sail numbers started at 7620 ? There are some below this number ?

What size assy kite do we use if we get a 3.5 metre pole then ? anyone got the dimensions ?

Doug GBR7632R

BarnsieB14768 View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote BarnsieB14768 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 07 at 6:33pm

Hi Folks

We had a Projection 762 for a number of years, Wild Willie. We raced in Sail East and Ramsgate Week etc. The main reason we sold her was that we tended to be handicapped to too greater disadvantage when racing larger boats such as X332s etc in Class 2. However, we did enjoy sailing the boat and beat all boats of our size most of the time on the circuit and Medway. Those who have not sailed one and wish to get some great sailing will find the boat well balanced and very responsive if set up correctly and sailed well. Most of our team were B14 sailors.

Have fun and bye for now

Barnsie

chic View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote chic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 07 at 6:52pm

I stand corrected over sail numbers, I have to admit that it hadn't occurred to me that some numbers might already have been taken... it would however be interesting to know exactly how many have been built so far.

And thanks George, Hobbes will most likely be kept at Port Edgar... I don't know that I'm brave enough to leave her on a mooring at Dalgety Bay; apart from anything the keel's a bit deep for those huge spring tides!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 86>