FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 man boat for lightweight crew!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 man boat for lightweight crew!
    Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 12:37pm

Hi, aswel as looking for a singlehander im looking for a 2 man boat. Together we weigh 18 stone. So not a lot of weight. Im looking for another boat and i can go up to 3500, id like something fast and easy to handle. I'd be doing lots of events in it so something with alot of racing.

Not a firefly as thats what im selling! Something with Trap and some sort of spinny would be great!

Thanks guys

Isis View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 12:51pm
a 3000 would probibly be a pretty good choice...
English Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote English Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 1:29pm
29er would be perfect for you. Most competitors on the circuit are juniors. Trap for the crew, spinni and the option to upgrade to the XX. Significantly faster than the 3000.
English Dave
Ballyholme Yacht Club

(You'd think I'd be better at it by now)

Hurricane 5.9 SX
RS700
49erGBR735HSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 49erGBR735HSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 1:40pm
For racing, reckon you can't go any better than the RS 200 for big fleets. Slightly slower than the 3000 but not by much but with a much more established fleet circuit. Also you'd be racing with a mixture of people and not just youths so may be more appealing as a family boat compared to the 29er.
Dennis Watson 49er GBR735
Helensburgh S.C
Boat Insurance from Noble Marine

sailorguy View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote sailorguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 4:50pm
laser 2!!!

old but still good
very fast on 2/3sail reaches

cheap

good for lightwieghts
RS 500 (twin wire)
Laser 157607
Laser 85446
Pico 2136
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 7:20pm

Yeah i like the look of the 29er but are they stable?? and they look like a handful, how are they compared to the 420? Im not a fan of the laser 2 really so thats off the cards and also the 200s a nice boat and very wide but i'd prefer a trapeze really.

So my main question now is hows the 29er compared to the 420?

Cheers.

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 8:03pm

The 420 feels tippy but doesn't actually capsize, just makes you work hard to keep it bolt upright. I capsized mine once in three years of weekly racing.

Whereas I watched an experienced pair of junior sailors go out last Saturday in their new 29'er in a F.4 and capsize more than 10 times! They did improve as they got the feel of it, and with lots of perseverence they should be able to reduce their capsize rate considerably, but the fact remains that the 29'er has a narrow waterline beam so is inherently tippy and will always have you thinking stability when you might occasionally want to be thinking more about tactics etc. The upside is that the 29'er is much quicker than a 420 while it's upright, tho' the 420 is no slouch in a blow (you'll have problems with Wayfarers in lighter winds...)

But, predictably, I'm going to plug the 3000. Why not? - I sail one myself because for me it's the most fun I can get with an all--up crew-weight under 20 stone (I don't enjoy capsizing or worrying about capsizing). I really enjoyed my Laser 3000 and found it a good handicap racer so long as there was enough wind to get the crew on the wire, and suitably inspired have now bought a V3000.

Check out www.3000class.org.uk/

and take a look at the variety of crews in the photos  (shots which also show off the new North sails nicely - a mere 950 a suit of three sails) here:

http://www.3000class.org.uk/forum/content.asp?GET_ID=727

Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 8:22pm

Yeah is the 3000 a dying class though? i dont see many anymore and is there a lot of youth racing in them?

I thought the 29er would be tippy. I have a 420 at the moment but i just find it quite tippy and a bit boring and its not the prettiest of boats really.

Also im not very tall and neither is my crew im about 5ft 3" and my crews about 5ft 6" (im 14 hes 15) so would i be big enough for a 3000 or anything similar to it?

Ahh confusing

Thanks again

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Gray Daze

So my main question now is hows the 29er compared to the 420?

Chalk and cheese.
The 29er is a sleek light frisky modern boat and the 420 is none of those... Sail both and it will be astonishing if you don't come back with a preference...
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 8:48pm
I've just got a 29er and it feels so nice to sail, such smooth speed and handles superbly.  Took it out for the first time last week in about 23kts of breeze and fairly big waves and at no point felt overpowered and the hull felt so efficient.  Admittedly we were probably a bit heavier than you two at a combined weight of 19 stone but I think you should definitely try one and you might be suitably impressed! 
international moth - "what what?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>