FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 man boat for lightweight crew!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 9:00pm

Thanks this helps a lot! So not the 420 i think its a bit dated, not sure about the 3000, 29er i like but i think i may capsize a lot and i have no idea what other boats there are that i could sail with a trapeze and spinny! I looked at the lark but had a sail in it and i didnt like it, plus it has no trapeze. I think im too small for a cherub at the moment aswel.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Cheers.

Hobbo View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 10:38pm
Might be a bit light for one but Fireball's are good boats, symmetrical spinny tho coming out of a 420 i wouldnt have thought you'd consider that a disadvantage?
Contender GBR 362
Osprey 1318 - IVplay
SSC
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 10:53pm

They look very fast to me and i think we'll be too light. How does the 3000 compare with the 29er stability wise? I'd just like a stable boat or a boat thats reasonably hard to capsize so i dont have to worry about it when im sailing andn it gets gusty (as it does all the time here).

I havent really looked but is there any other boats with similar sail sizes to those two?

Thank you once again!!

yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 11:20pm

don't get depressed Grey Days

the 3000 deserves a bit of a revival since opening up the class rules ... it's no longer a SMOD. you could pick up a reasonable boat for around 2000 these days, and add the new North sails for 950. you can also change to aft bridle and gnav which vastly improves the feel of the boat:

we have two coaching events each year, but only six opens (2-day events), one a month over the main season, so if you want to be travelling away to series events every other weekend it may not suit you.

you get the full age range at events, with small numbers and a range of experience ... enter a 29er event and you'll be in amongst some very competitive youth sailors

if it's more important to you to have a managable assy/trap boat with a small sail area, bit underpowered in the light stuff, but fun in a blow rather than being intimidating, you probably couldn't do much better

Edited by yellowhammer
Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 06 at 11:45pm

Yeah i was thinking do you think it'd be wise to get a 3000 and then in 2 years maybe when im heavier and better get a 29er, that could be an idea for me i think.

What do you think?

Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 1:56am

I guess the weight requirement will prob be similar for 3k & 29'er. As to whether you'll get good enough fpr the '9'er, who knows? Many never reach the relaxed stage with their tippiness, which I gather is why the RYA was going to drop the 29'er as a youth boat until the ISAF chose it... THe 3k is a doddle by comparison, but still great fun - I would never go back to my 420!

Where do you sail Gray Daze?

Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 9:38am
yeah i don't think its the weight issue in the 29er because i felt if anything slightly underpowered in about 20kts and we're only a stone heavier than you but it's what you say about the tippyness that worries me.  The 29er did seem quite tippy and it seemed like you have to be sailing it "in the zone" the whole time and if you make a mistake like dragging a leeward gunwhale i think it could punish you quite quickly.  So if you wanted something more stable to start off in then i think a 3000 would be fine.
international moth - "what what?"
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Gray Daze

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%"
cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="on">
<T>
<TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="on">
<TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background=""
height=250 UNABLE="off">

Thanks this helps a lot! So not the 420 i think its a bit dated, not sure
about the 3000, 29er i like but i think i may capsize a lot and i have no
idea what other boats there are that i could sail with a trapeze and
spinny! I looked at the lark but had a sail in it and i didnt like it, plus it
has no trapeze. I think im too small for a cherub at the moment aswel.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Cheers.

</TD></TR>
<TR hb_tag="1" UNABLE="on">
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="on">
<DIV id=hotbar_promo></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Dude you are NOT TO SMALL for a Cherub!
You may however not want to sail in a development class or capsize a lot
or enjoy boat fidderling.

But a Cherub is for lightweights and don't let anyone tell you any
different. It is ture that we have some class members that are a bit heavy
for the boat coz they like sailing it.

But LIGHT IS FAST.

Unlike the 12 foot skiff where FAT IS FAST.

Edited by Jack Sparrow
Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 11:43am
that's what they'll always tell you but i don't think the issue here is weight.  You say you want a boat that you can sail fast easily and not have to worry about capsizing when it gets dusty and in all fairness a cherub is a hard boat to sail at the best of times and i think could seriously beat you up if you went wrong....i think its got to be the 3000
international moth - "what what?"
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 12:47pm

I sail at West Kirby sailing club and theres a lot of racing between march - october then only team racing and handicaps on the lake or tide. We dont have that many classes there so most people sail handicap so thats really no problem. Would the 3000 be faster than the 420?

Yet another question is there any non trapeze boats that are in my weight range which have some sort of spinny???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>