FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 man boat for lightweight crew!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 man boat for lightweight crew!
    Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Gray Daze

I sail at West Kirby sailing club and theres a lot of racing between march - october then only team racing and handicaps on the lake or tide. We dont have that many classes there so most people sail handicap so thats really no problem. Would the 3000 be faster than the 420?

Yet another question is there any non trapeze boats that are in my weight range which have some sort of spinny???

RS 200

Comet Zero?

RS Feva XL?

Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 2:47pm

Ive sailed the feva and im a bit big for it and with my crew its a little bit cramped, i like the look of the 200 just some people at my club said its tippy and they're our weight and i dont like the comet.

Oh im fussy! At the moment its probably just out of the 3000 and Rs 200 and ill happily except more advice also i can stretch my budget up to 4250 - 4500  so will that open up anymore possibilities for me?

Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 3:02pm

Ive sailed the feva and im a bit big for it and with my crew its a little bit cramped, i like the look of the 200 just some people at my club said its tippy and they're our weight and i dont like the comet.

Oh im fussy! At the moment its probably just out of the 3000 and Rs 200 and ill happily except more advice also i can stretch my budget up to 4250 - 4500  so will that open up anymore possibilities for me?

Go and sail a RS 200. They are not tippy. I sailed one when they were lauched and my one memory was how stable it was. You sail a Firefly? An RS200 would be fine.

Medway Maniac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 06 at 7:36pm

I sail at West Kirby sailing club

[couldn't edit out the space there for some reason)

Just looked up West Kirby SC. I see you race on a marine lake, there are no trapeze classes and the fastest class is the Lark, presumably because the water is too small for trapeze/faster boats?

So, sounds like you need a Lark. They don't need that much crew weight and you could presumably easily get a demo by just asking the fleet captain?

Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 1:54pm

Yeah, thing about West Kirby is because of the estuary we can sail faster trapeze boats there. Thats usually when the 4000s 420s etc go out. The other thing is West Kirby doesnt actually have a single Lark race which is a bit stupid considering theres a reasonable size class there.

I thought of another thing aswel. I thought that maybe i could try the 29er because some days here we get very little wind so i could practice in lighter winds n work my way up, that will give me time to get used to it (i think) so then i can do tidal racing and also handicap on the lake even though its not too wide.

Anyone know a rough price for a 29er??

Prince Buster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Prince Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 3:14pm
new around 6000.
second hand anywhere between 3500 - 5000
international moth - "what what?"
Adamoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adamoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 8:09pm
I may think of one of them for my son after 420s. WOuld that be a good move?

Edited by Adamoki
420's all the way!
Gray Daze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gray Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 9:05pm

I think i may just get a 29er!

One problem though, I cant find one any anywhere!! Does anyone know where i could find one, or know anyone whos selling one, know any websites etc??

Hope someone can help!

yellowhammer View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 06 at 11:52pm

sounds like the 29er's worth a go if you're after opens, even if only to get it out of your system

if you do find it's too big a jump, or WKSC's not really suitable, if you buy this time of year (and haggle) you might even make a profit when it comes to selling it and buying a 3000

Laser 3000 @ Leigh & Lowton SC
www.3000class.org.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123