FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mainsheet Ratchet Blocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Medway Maniac View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Medway Maniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mainsheet Ratchet Blocks
    Posted: 06 Oct 06 at 9:23pm
Yep, I have tried a 75 - grips far too much.
nick.r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nick.r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 06 at 9:13pm

got to be the harken auto rachet

Laser 4.7 174571 national squad.
29er 1115
a_stevo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote a_stevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 06 at 12:17am
harken 019. plain old hexaratchet. Simple and work. never had anything bad to say about them
BigFatStan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigFatStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 9:29am
There are plenty of people using 75mm ratchets in boats as small as 420s. If you have weak wrists (seriously) or have another reason for needing better grip then it's a good solution. Some people prefer autos and some people prefer on/offs especially on mainsheets. Since my suggestion was one of the few that was qualified other than by "that's what I use"  (remember "if you want better holding") I think it's valid. 
NickA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote NickA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 12:39pm

Just to report ... after some very gusty sailing yesterday ... my bridle mounted 40mm carbo ratchet block holds and releases a treat.

Especially with off the boom sheeting, the rope doesn't go round much of the block so you need a biggish block to get the required friction.  But with the block on the bridle, the rope goes round 180o, so more contact despite less block!  And the block is always on the boat centre line, making it easy to switch on and off on the fly.  Great.

Javelin 558
Contender 2574
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 12:44pm

Ok. I gave a short reply (as I expect most did) because I have tried a few and am so happy with my choice (Freddy) that it's all I thought I needed.

My Freddy has shredded a mainsheet but seems to have settled down now and the reason it did it is that the grip is huge.

75mm ratchets are fine but why add all that weight? Also if you decide to put a cleat back on the lead angle will be all wrong.

Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigFatStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 12:54pm
The weight is worth the extra 100g or so if you keep playing it rather than start cleating it. If you are going to put a cleat on, use the 57mm, you'll be cleating it anyway so why do you want all that holding power?

If the freddy has stopped shredding the sheets has it stopped gripping so well?
Matt Jackson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Matt Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 12:58pm
Don't think so but it's either been really light or blowing it's nuts off recently, when I use a cleat anyway.
Laser 203001, Harrier (H+) 36
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote BigFatStan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 1:11pm
Ok - just to address the otherside of the question a moment, Auto vs. On/Off - the primary advantage of the auto is the ability to ease quickly - great for asy sheets - pretty good for sym sheets, marginal for jib sheets and, most people feel, not so hot for the main where some modicum of control is usually an advantage during the ease (or so seems to be the received wisdom). I would say use the auto when you are prepared to just let the sheet go (gybing an A sail perhaps). 
Skiffman View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote Skiffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 06 at 7:10pm

The Holt 60mm Pro-Ratchet, it holds just has good as a freddy but does not explode, its lighter and cheaper! And if you think Holt are rubbish then thats way most of the 49er fleet, top guys in the 470 etc all use Holt.

This may not happen on most boats but freddys seem to blow up on 49ers and 18ft skiffs.

49er GBR5

teamfletcherandsign.co.uk
Team Fletcher and Sign campaign site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>