FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS600

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
29er397 View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS600
    Posted: 05 Jul 06 at 7:49pm
It's not long before I will be buying a 600 i am not sure which should go for. I know that generally speaking an older hull is less competitive than an newer hull, but im not sure to what extent it makes a difference on a 600. Is it worth spending the extra cash on a newer sail number, or keeping it for new gear? Basically... Is there a huge difference between a old boat and a newer boat assuming they have both been taken care of.

Edited by 29er397
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 06 at 8:29pm
Ive been sailing a borrowed 600 for the past couple of weeks after some on-the-water modifications to my moth and have been loving it despite a lack of decent wind everytime ive been out.

They are pretty simple boats really and quite well built so the sail number wouldnt bother me personaly, just the individual condition of the boat and sail etc.

Theres a handfull of 600 sailors on here though who are a lot better qualified than me on this though....
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 06 at 8:41pm
I have had a go and it was a good laugh. Hopefully Doug  and TT will give me some advice from their buying experianceswith 600's.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 06 at 10:10pm

Hey there!  The obvious assumption would be that newer is better but this isnt a fulproof assumption when it comes to 600s.  Apparently at their hieght of popularity they were being ordered faster than they could be made, so some of the finer workmanship was rushed. 
I think the 600-700 numbers maybe starting to ware, 700-800 are all pretty solid then somewhere i think in the later 800 numbers it starts to go a bit wrong (mainly problems with leaks in the centreboard case)  and then after 900 these were mainly made to order batches of ten so these are gonna be as solid as!

Points to look out for are the centreboard case, the mast step, and where all the pulleys attach at the front (mainly the kicker attachment - should NOT be loose).  Dont worry about any chips in the back edge of the centreboard, these are common and no doubt you'll put a fair few in yourself. 
If there are any more danger points im sure someone else will point them out.

Doug
ps answer to original question - No i really wouldnt worry about the boat number, all 600s were built to last so get a cheaper one and simply do it up.  Although if you can find one with a newish sail go for it because its 700 for a new one.

Edited by Doug.H
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 06 at 10:30pm
Great advice! Thanks Doug. can't wait till i get it!!!

come to think of it, that boat Jamie M has just emailed on the yahoo group sounds perfect!

Edited by 29er397
southcoast View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote southcoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 06 at 10:10am
Not sure but i think the newer boats have lighter foils aswell so that might be something to look out for
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 06 at 1:13pm
Richard from RMW told me that the later boats had better foils (not sure why they are better) and you can tell if they are the better ones if they have a 1.5mm trailing edge. He also said sail and rig condition are far more important than hull condition when it comes to being competitive. Now i just need to find this perfect boat
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 06 at 11:43pm
Just remember this when you're getting your 600, you can have a brand new spanker with all the mods but that wont mean jack on race course if you can't tack the damn thing!  Solid Boat handling will get you everwhere in the 600 fleet!

Doug
29er397 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 29er397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 06 at 5:45pm
I sail inland (Kielder) so tacking will be made easier due to the lack of big waves. The reason i fancy the 600 is the boat handling challenge, the 29er seems rather tame now, and taming the boat is half the fun! It is also the closest I can get to an MPS for a little while (don't even bother mentioning the 700! )
bovlike View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 06 at 7:52pm

most of the 600's were built by Ovington boats. need I say more!

Think they stopped building them in about 2000 and after that they were built by RMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>