FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Razor Dinghy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chew my RS View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Razor Dinghy
    Posted: 01 Apr 06 at 10:46am

Breaking news...

The Kojing Plastics Corporation will launch the new Razor dinghy at this year's Hong Kong International Auto, Boat and Leisure Show http://www.tdctrade.com/tdcnews/0507/05072901.htm, which starts next week.  The combination of the upcoming Beijing Olympics and rapidly increasing wealth in the region has seen sailing expode in popularity in China over the last five years.  KPC's Marketing Director, Lola Oprif said "There is huge excitement about the Olympic games and leisure time is increasingly priority in the lives of many.  The number of sailing clubs in China has doubled every two years since 2000 and there are almost 500 million middle-class people in China and India, so the potential home market is massive.  But we expect the Razor to be a global best-seller.  The Razor is an affordable one-person dinghy based on the Olympic single-hander. Sparkling performance combined with amazing value fo money is sure to make the Razor popular.  We expect to manufacture 10,000 units a year, so in excess of 20,000 Razors should be sailing worldwide by the time of the Beijing Olympics".
Offering identical performance to the Olympic Laser, the Razor will be available worldwide for just US$2000.  There are a choice of two rigs; the Ruby sail has an area of 7.06 square meters, the Emerald sail has an area of 5.76 square meters.  It will be available in the UK from April 14th.

As I understand it, the Razor (pronounced "Lazor" with a Chinese accent?) is an exact copy of the Laser, but loads cheaper. 

Guest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 06 at 10:58am
Good effort ....
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 06 at 10:58am
That Oprif family gets about: I'm sure I've seen that name on a bunch of press releases today...
MainlySwimming View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MainlySwimming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 11:17am

Is this being done in conjunction with Laser (eg have they bought some rights ot the design) or a completely separate initiative? If it's separate are there not copyright / IP issues with building / marketing a boat that is so closely based on another? 

Or is this the price you pay for building your boats in the UK....(see Boats from Brazil thread)

bovlike View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote bovlike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 11:30am

Mainly Swimming

look at the date it was posted to find your answer.....

Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 11:31am
...hook line and sinker.
MainlySwimming View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote MainlySwimming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 11:34am

I'll get me coat.

Nice one Chew...

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 12:31pm
 Sorry, couldn't resist.  Raises the point though, how can you copyright a hull?  Its only a set of curves - how different would it need to be to 'get away' with it?
Isis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Isis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 12:36pm
I do a lot of racing kayaking and all the best hull designs get stollen, built in far away countries and sold for half the price of an 'official' boat... To the best of my knowlage no-one has ever taken action over it but these boats are iddentical copies.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Chew my RS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 06 at 12:58pm
In that case, I might just set up Razor factories in China/Mexico/Poland...  No development costs, cheap labour, modern purpose built factories.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>