FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to balance Sailing + Relationship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Anne View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to balance Sailing + Relationship
    Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 11:52am

Relationships are all about commitment, but when it comes to Sailing that is also a commitment. The question is how to Sail regularly and how to keep the other half happy also. This could be added as being a sore head issue!

Does anyone have a secret way in dealing with this please share, I'm sure you'll be helping more than just myself!

A bad day on the water beats a good day in the office!
Dongle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dongle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 12:06pm

Encourage other half to take up sailing!

Good Luck!

Dongle

I feel the need...the need for speed!
Anne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 12:12pm

Dongle, do you have another half? (sorry if a personal question) what is your secret, what happens if the other person does sail just not as good as you?

A bad day on the water beats a good day in the office!
Linki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 1:18pm

Oh I think it's a case for the big heave ho. You can't let relationships get in the way of a good time on the water. (Hope my wife doesn't read this )

Do you think I'd make a good marriage guidence counciller?

mmmmmmm.. I'm sure counciller is spelt wrong.

ChrisJ View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ChrisJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 1:46pm

a) race together

b) race against each other

c) race different classes

d) sail together without racing

e) sail at the same time in different boats.

Start at the top: and when the relationship can stand it no longer, move down one step.

In the 28 years we have been together, we have done a, c and d. We are now back again to a), with the kids doing c).

Tarten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tarten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 04 at 3:42pm

That is a great way to put it, racing together is good it's when you get to the point of who knows best....!

Dongle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dongle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 04 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Anne

Dongle, do you have another half? (sorry if a personal question) what is your secret, what happens if the other person does sail just not as good as you?

I do have another half - who is most importantly ... fantastically tolerant. She is reluctantly land stricken due to a nasty chest infection but the instructional programme will commence shortly!

(we only moved back to the Solent a year ago after many years in the wilderness)

RGDS

Dongle

I feel the need...the need for speed!
jeffers View Drop Down
Really should get out more
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 04 at 3:27pm

Well you could always be lucky like me and half you other half (re)introduce you back to sailing. She can't really complain!!

She won't ever crew for me becuase I am too "balls out" when it comes to racing for her (scared her just a tad when we sailed together once windy Saturday afternoon. She said never again!

However she does crew in a Scorpion and we have some good battles out on the water (I bought her helms old Laser). We can both helm, she is even threatening to have a go in a Laser Radial, could get interesting if she gets good!

My advice (given the couples I have seen sail together) is don't sail with a partner, I am sure others have their own point of view.

Paul

Croff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Croff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 04 at 1:09am
I don't think there is an answer to the original question. Race during the day and see them at night?Works for me though saying that I'm only 19 and me and my girlfriend aren't that serious.  Anyway I'm sure your other half has something they like to do that you don't take part in to encourage them to do that while your sailing.  Alternatvely introduce your other half to the other people that your sailing club who don't sail but like to be involved.
Crawford
2savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 2savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 04 at 7:37pm

Anne, so much of the answer here depends on your current level of commitment and future aspirations.  I used to be a VERY serious sailor back in the 60's and 70's, emigrating to USA back in the 80's .  When I met my wife I had just started to windsurf and we would head down to the beach throughout summer.  She tried the sport but was not very skilled and was not a strong swimmer, fearing the falls in the deep stuff (especially with the rig on her head!). So we bought a 30 foot sail boat with an inboard diesel (Ron Holland half tonner) and started sailing together.  Without boring you any more, my wife now runs the foredeck on my 36 foot yacht 'Savage' and loves it.  We've been together now for almost 20 years.

Larger boats can handle some average talent.  Dinghies and windsurfers are less forgiving.  So my advice is, expand your thinking if sailing and relationships need to co-exist.  

Edited by 2savage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>