24 [52.17%]
22 [47.83%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
By The Lee View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser vs RS Aero for 2024
    Posted: 14 May 19 at 1:35pm
Which boat do you believe should be selected and why
JimC View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 1:38pm
No idea.

As I read the evaluation form, the Laser came second primarily because of supply problems and issues with consistency of manufacture, and not because of the boat itself, which scored well on many factors. If the ILCA and new manufacturers got their act together swiftly and sorted out supply and tightened up the tolerances in the construction manual then a rescore would probably put the Laser first.

So the results lead to a nasty dilemma: do you vote for the boat that had a better score excluding the supply side, and hope that the current shenanigans will have sorted themselves out by the time the next Olympic cycle starts, or do you vote for the boat that has the better score now, even though that advantage may have vanished by then?

Glad I don't have to make that decision!
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 1:41pm
Yes I agree tough decision while I think the Aero is a great boat I believe it would be a disaster for the emerging nations program
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 1:56pm
Aero, with the reservation that could RS supply enough boats alongside the increased demand? 

Reason? :- From the POV of a grass roots sailor the only benefit the Olympics confers is the raising of the profile of Sailing as a sport. The Lasers an old boat and is showing that age a little these days, the Aero looks much more modern. Sailing is a technology based sport and many of those who might give it a try are likely to be attracted to a more modern boat.

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 14 May 19 at 1:57pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote By The Lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 1:59pm
But could a non sailor notice the difference?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 2:14pm
Probably not immediately but I think the types who would give sailing/racing a serious try will research a little and be more attracted to the high tech nature of the boat than the 'different virtues' of the Laser.

edit :- I've just read Mark Jardine's article (after I posted that last), pretty much my views too (but much more elegantly worded).

Edited by Sam.Spoons - 14 May 19 at 2:20pm
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 3:15pm
What I think is strange about the trials is the quality score that the d-zero got. To be less than a third as good as the Aero and roughly a third of the Laser seems a bit of an insult to what I have always thought to be a well put together product. What happened there!? Page 10 of the report if anyone hasn't read it. https://members.sailing.org/tools/documents/EQCSP4biiiMenWomenOnePersonDinghy-%5b24944%5d.pdf

jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 3:23pm
It could still be any of the 4, WS has previous for ignoring the evaluation trials recommendations...

Regards production all 4 boats have the issue in terms of supply/builders and being FRAND compliant. RS and Devoti at least said they would comply with this and appoint builders to ensure supply was met. The current Laser debacle is going to roll on and on not least because WS/ILCA are no inspect the LP factory at the end of the month.

I expect the vote will likely be hurry up and wait.

As for the comments about build, I am not sure of the source but the D-Zero is pretty robust for a light boat. There were some early production niggles but you get that and the builder sorted them and made tweaks to the production method to mitigate them.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
laser193713 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote laser193713 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by jeffers

As for the comments about build, I am not sure of the source but the D-Zero is pretty robust for a light boat. There were some early production niggles but you get that and the builder sorted them and made tweaks to the production method to mitigate them.

The source I referred to was the World Sailing report which rated the quality relative to the other boats in the trials, the D-Zero being by far the lowest scoring on quality, which surprised me. How much worse than a Laser can it be!?
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 19 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by laser193713

Originally posted by jeffers

The source I referred to was the World Sailing report which rated the quality relative to the other boats in the trials, the D-Zero being by far the lowest scoring on quality, which surprised me. How much worse than a Laser can it be!?

Yes and I am unsure as to where they (WS) got their info from as the boat has been pretty robust aside from a few early production niggles which were sorted by the builder as stated above.

I would guess they looked at issues vs total boats built so it may be a higher proportion as not as many of them have been built compared to the Laser and Aero.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>