FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Performance Replica Sails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
GarethT View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Performance Replica Sails
    Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 2:34pm
I know we’ve done the ‘legalities’ of replica sails to death, so I’m not asking for any opinions on that side of things, but has anybody used the ‘official, non-legal’ training sails?

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/laser-standard-mark-ii-training-sail?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5fDWBRDaARIsAA5uWThkn9qXvmTFFKsyKrk5Fa9HlAsywWhFUqsCy5m-FCu70iKxzSlQm1caAjDrEALw_wcB

My really old laser cost less than a new ‘legal’ sail, so I’m not going to buy one of them for the 20 races a year I do, but I would like to point in the same direction as everyone else upwind (which my old knackered sail doesn’t), so was wondering if anyone has used one of these training sails. Given how little it would be used compared to the serious guys, I’m guessing the lighter cloth wouldn’t give me too much of a durability issue.

Anybody used one?
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 5:54pm
Check the description - the cloth is lighter.

Draw conclusions!
GarethT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GarethT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 6:10pm
That’s what I supposed in my penultimate sentence. Just wondering how big the compromise is.
Wiclif View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wiclif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 6:12pm
The replacement version from Rooster is marginally cheaper, slightly heavier material, and comes with battens which are a hefty £47.15 extra from Sailboats
The original battens do not work with the mk2 sail
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by GarethT

That’s what I supposed in my penultimate sentence. Just wondering how big the compromise is.

I suspect it would be a false economy. I think you'd be better off spending another £50 on a used mk2 legal sail. They should last far, far better than the old ones did.

Im intrigued that Laser Performance have done this. Seems totally illogical to me, if not a touch hypocritical to me.
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 18 at 7:24pm
Or just buy the Rooster sail? Laser's business practices have long since lost them and respect they may have had in the past........
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
RS400atC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RS400atC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 18 at 8:58am
Another possibility is a half decent Mk1 sail.
Likely to be better value than a Mk2 in raceworthy shape, and the performance around the course is not much different.
Are people actually selling used Mk2 legal sails that are worth having?
Obviously, judge what is on offer to you on its merits.
But at club level, the best 'one design' ethos I've seen in recent years is most of the fleet buying the same make of replica at the same time.

I'd avoid lighter cloth radial cut sails like the plague. If you are prepared to spend the money and not be class legal, the Sailing Solutions sail from Rooster seems to be as good as anything. And it comes with a nice little bag which is just about OK for an Rs400 spinnaker.
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 18 at 11:55am
I just find it amazing that the builder sells non-legal sails (1 branded as training the branded as 'class compliant but without the button').
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
turnturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote turnturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 18 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by jeffers

I just find it amazing that the builder sells non-legal sails (1 branded as training the branded as 'class compliant but without the button').

why do find it amazing?  The are not suggesting you can race with it.  Many sports will use specific equipment for training which then aren't used for competition.  I think it makes sense.

Even their 'class compliant' sail which doesn't pay the ILCA fee has no suggestion that it is legal for racing.

They specifically state:

There are three Laser sails, only ONE of which is currently legal for all competitions.
1. Class legal - Legal for all National & International competitions.
2. Class Compliant - Not Class legal, made from the same cloth and to the same specification as the class legal version but without ILCA button so are not legal for any competitions at present.
3. Training Sail - Not Class legal, made from lighter cloth to keep the cost down, again without the class legal button.

Edited by turnturtle - 23 Apr 18 at 12:10pm
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 18 at 12:23pm
That has changed, they used to suggest that it was OK for racing at a club level.

Edit: Checked the LP website, they imply they are only non-legal at class association events. Seems Sailboats have a bit more of an understanding here (says the same on the training sail page as well):

Edited by jeffers - 23 Apr 18 at 12:29pm
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>