FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS800 Video Library
    Posted: 15 Jan 18 at 2:30pm
Thought I'd learn some new
Ardea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ardea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 18 at 12:45pm
Always good to see clear guides and analysis of manoeuvres.  I'd say there's not enough videos demonstrating good technique.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 18 at 7:27am
Another one... no talking this time, just a quick few shots of an empty Chichester Harbour from Sunday.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 11:32am
Less wind than last week, struggling to build power a lot of the time. A little warmer though!

Trying out two camera's, with the old GoPro on the boom and Yi Lite Action Camera on the rack / head.

Daniel Holman View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 11:58am
Very smooth.
Quick question - during gybes, does helm route mainsheet sheet behind wire before initiating, or does he just drop it when letting go of "old" trap handle and grab off the ratchet when passing under boom before doing hand swap? Whats the "official" way thats taught to kids in 29er / 49er?
Dan
jaydub View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote jaydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 12:02pm
What a nice polite vid, at least until the end. ;)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Daniel Holman

Very smooth.
Quick question - during gybes, does helm route mainsheet sheet behind wire before initiating, or does he just drop it when letting go of "old" trap handle and grab off the ratchet when passing under boom before doing hand swap? Whats the "official" way thats taught to kids in 29er / 49er?
Dan
In the 29er the helm doesn't have the issue, so the technique was to send the single extension through the gybe underneath the main sheet. 

In the 49er I was never really coached, so my technique was 'home taught'! I would often hold the main sheet behind the wire and sheet that way downwind so it was always the right side of the wire but  sometimes (mostly light) I would passed the sheet around the wire on the entry to the gybe. Not sure which is better "textbook" technique, maybe the latter?  

In the 800 I'm trying to just do it by passing the sheet around the wire, as it's more comfortable sheeting that way and means you're always ready to gybe. I still drop the sheet every now and then, or leave it wrapped round the old wire!

I've seen some people drop the sheet as they step in, then pick it up again from the block as they pull the boom over. I'd rather always have the sheet in my hand though. 

Edited by mozzy - 05 Mar 18 at 12:33pm
Daniel Holman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 18 at 12:52pm
Thats some comfort to me - pretty much how I deal with it, its minging holding sheet behind wire and I don't like not being immediately ready, but it makes for a cleaner gybe, 
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 18 at 11:17pm
I'm not sure about you, but for me the first evening sail of the year is a most significant mark of spring; more than the changing of the clocks, the equinox, or whatever the meteorological definition is anyway!

Here's a little video to mark the first evening sail of 2018. Unfortunately, Bosley the dog doesn't have a buoyancy aid yet, so he'll have to wait.

Evening racing doesn't start for well over another month though, and I doubt work will allow me an early get away again, so maybe this was a premature blooming! 

When does evening sailing start for the rest of you?

cad99uk View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Post Options Post Options   Quote cad99uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 18 at 9:25am
Very nice indeed. Hope you get more evening sails.

Must get my 800 out soon. Or will it be the 29er?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>