FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RS800 Video Library

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RS800 Video Library
    Posted: 18 Sep 19 at 6:28am
Final in the series of RS 800 mods... quite 800 specific this one, so not much in there for the rest of you unfortunately :( 

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 2:21pm
That's very eagle eyed of you and I agree.

The logistics is getting your back foot out of the loop. If you step with the front foot first then it 'locks' your back foot in to the loop. So when the crew's not got a foot in a loop they can do a big step with the front foot no issue.

But it is a change Guy has also made, he's now stepping with his front foot to the flat inside of the deck, as you noted in the gybes with white kite up. In the first clip he goes back foot out the loop and in to the boat, which then forces him to make a little hop. Now when it's breezier and he's in the footloop he comes out of his loop with both feet still on the rack before making that big step though with the front foot.  

The issue with helms is you don't have the same opportunity to walk forward out of your loop because obviously the crew is there. For what it's worth Dylan's first step is with his back foot too...

Edited by mozzy - 19 Jun 19 at 2:30pm
Fatboi View Drop Down
Posting king
Posting king

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fatboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 1:02pm
I would argue that the crew (of frances boat) has better foot placement through the gybe with the front foot going in first. Just takes a shuffle instead of hitting the rack on the way out.

Would front foot first mean you dont twist your legs through the movement and make you more stable too?

White kite gybe shows your crew also do the front foot first. Is it just a logistics problem where you do different things or should the footwork be the same?

Edited by Fatboi - 19 Jun 19 at 1:04pm
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 19 at 11:13am
Not put up a video in a while, mostly because I haven't been out.

Been meaning to do a video on the altered gybing technique for this season. Quite an in depth look at what I've been trying to change and why in this video. 

Sorry the video / audio quality isn't that great, it's all screen recordings; just seemed the easiest way to do it rather than loads of editing! Also got a cursor to pint at stuff!

Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 19 at 3:58pm
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 19 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Sam.Spoons

The beauty of a wiggle extension is it's simplicity. Using a pully system will introduce slack and be more things to go wrong.
I bet someone with a crank handle told the guy who introduced an electric starter motor something like that.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 2:14pm
The beauty of a wiggle extension is it's simplicity. Using a pully system will introduce slack and be more things to go wrong.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
iGRF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by mozzy

Yeah, it's super annoying. Especially on start lines and they're very prone to breaking if a leeward boat sits it's racks on them. 
Quite a few boats in the fleet are unused to them and sail in late at the start tight to leeward, forgetting that when you head up to keep clear not only will your transom need room to swing toward them, but also the extension will too on top of that. 
On the other hand, it means there's no main-sheet in the middle which is one less thing to get snagged on in tacks and gybes. Plus it means you're much less restricted in where your weight is in manoeuvres . For instance the crew doesn't have to go forward between main and kicker and can keep their weight a little further back in hoists and drops, with more space for their arms flailing. Plus it's easier for the helm to keep their weight forward in light wind tacks.  

When I was researching systems for another of my diversions, a single hander kite boat, I came across a joystick affair that was used for i think a sailability craft, I'm sure it was from RS, but it was a central mounted vertical stick connected obviously to the tiller via a pulley system, I thought then it would be a great modification to do away with long tiller extensions at the back of the boat, two shorter systems could work or even a foot operated device which was what I was looking for.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 12:04pm
Yes that's how we do it. Sometimes hard to tell if two boats are on opposite sides of the beat though but, usually, easily resolved in the bar  Thumbs Up
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
craiggo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote craiggo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 19 at 11:27am
No finish line for us. 90 mins after the first start there is a finishing sound signal. Safety boat loosely tracks the leader for the last 10 mins and quickly whizzes back through the fleet and radios positions to the race officer. Any confusion or mixups sorted in the bar afterwards.
OK 2129
RS200 411
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>