FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dynamic Courses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamic Courses
    Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 10:09pm
Yeah, when I sailed at a small lake and it was light, we'd set a course which had a few 'potential' beats and hope for the best. My point being that I totally except and agree that if you can't be certain yourself what is a beat or will stay a beat, then this is going to be of no use, and any course you end up getting can be a random. 

I'm also not suggesting you'd use the app to suggest changes mid race and then have the PRO affect them. I was more suggesting something like this: PRO goes up to race box, knowing they want a course which is about an hour long for each of the three fleets. They input the wind strength and direction from club anemometer, then depending on processing power, either it spits out a course, or he selects his marks and the app gives the forecast finish time / location. It could also say which types of boat the course / conditions are favouring so you can ensure it's mixed up over a series. 
423zero View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 10:47pm
This is the problem with trying to use hard and fast rules, not every scenario will fit, small lake and river sailing clubs would struggle attempting to use a spreadsheet system to run races, their is no substitute for local knowledge and experience.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 10:56pm
^ true

But... just a thought.
Oli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Oli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 18 at 11:08pm
i like the premise mozzy, perhaps it could go one step further and with a known sailing area and "known" wind strength and direction it could set the fairest course for boats entered? could this be an answer handicap racing is looking for?  we certainly aimed at making courses as even as possible for the classes sailing to minimise calls of theirs and yours courses, this is the next step perhaps.
Rupert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 18 at 7:52am
If any club starts doing this, it would be good to hear back about ease of use and even-ness of results, compared to the current eyeballing method.

Given many (most?) clubs still use a pencil and paper and input the results into sailwave afterwards, I suspect there is a bit of a hill to climb on this.
Firefly 2324, Puffin 229, Minisail 3446 Mirror 70686
jeffers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jeffers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 18 at 2:36pm
When I am RO I always try to get 2 beats in, a tight and a broad reach and a run.

Obviously the wind sometimes doesn't play ball but giving the beats a bit of angle from each other usually means one of the is pretty good and the other may become a little one sided.

Changing the lap/course length might have knock on implications in h'cap racing though and you may find it impossible to alter the course dynamically without prejudicing 1 boat or another.....

I am more intrigued by the dynamic handicapping for classes that Simon has been talking about.
Paul
----------------------
D-Zero GBR 74
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 18 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by jeffers

Changing the lap/course length might have knock on implications in h'cap racing though and you may find it impossible to alter the course dynamically without prejudicing 1 boat or another.....

I'm suggesting the app would use the information to set suitable courses to begin with, not change them mid race. The thread name is more tongue in cheek as it a different way of applying the same information. I'm not really talking about something that makes racing fairer for sailors (because I don't think it ever will be in handicap) but easier for RO. 

I don't see anything in the SR post which suggests handicaps will be dynamic moment to moment, but only race to race based upon the types of legs and average wind speed. 

Edited by mozzy - 03 Jan 18 at 3:52pm
Do Different View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 18 at 8:26pm
http://events.sailracer.org/eventsites/content.asp?id=46395&eventid=210542&Dynamic&uid=27939231

Edited by Do Different - 11 Feb 18 at 8:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12