FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas Presents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Daniel Holman View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas Presents
    Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 10:44am
Was great weather for the time of year though.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 10:26am
Yeah white i14.
Ah ok thought you looked conspicuously good for a sit down sailor 49er explains it - I’m still like a newborn giraffe at the back of the boat :-)
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 18 at 10:07am
I take it you were in a 14? Yeah, it was a nice race, perfect breeze for us just getting back in to things. And not too cold for the time of year. Shame we all went the wrong way!

I used to sail a 49er with this crew about 10 years ago, he then sailed an 800 for a couple years after but other than the odd day here or there I think this was his second time out in 7 years or so, so very impressive. I'm a bit more wobbly at the back of the boat!

Post Options Post Options   Quote Daniel Holman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 11:33pm
Originally posted by mozzy

I got an RS800... well, half of one. And I picked it up a little before Christmas. 
Not sure quite how many events we'll get to next year but an old crew is local(ish) for a while and after nearly 8 years of 200 sailing a bit of trapezing is nice. 
Hopefully I'll get some better footage once the grey skies clear and I get good enough that it's worth sharing publicly!

Nice looks like you’ve done it before.
Think I might have sailed past you in that race was a good laugh. Apart from a grounding pitchpole!
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 8:23pm
Yeah, not sure I'll ever have such a crew in the Spice TBH but anything that makes our lives a little more flexible is worth a try.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 5:24pm
The 800s had a rule that the crew couldn't play the main. That change is probably more significant than whether the sheet comes from the boom or the deck. Having a deck jammer made life a little easier for the helm, but with the crew carrying the sheet having it straight off the boom opens up space in the boat. 

Helming on a trapeze you can't 'hand over hand' sheet as the trapeze line gets in the way plus the geometry of the extension doesn't allow the sweep of your tiler hand anyway. So you can't sheet as fast as in a hiking dinghy, and that's in boat when in many conditions you need to move more! Having the crew take the sheet really gets around this problem.

I think tacks are faster too as you can hit the wire much sooner as a helm. Getting the weight out to bear away and power up on the new tack is more important than role. Having a mainsheet to play as you clip on a step out as a helm makes that difficult. 

Having said all that, you need an excellent crew who has a good feel for sheeting and is also able to wire to wire tack whilst carrying the sheet. The crew will be in control of mode changing much more than the helm, so it's a very different way of working. 

Edited by mozzy - 01 Jan 18 at 10:26am
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 4:13pm
It definitely works on the Blaze, I guess the advantages are the same, clearing the cockpit and reduced sheet loads (plus on a skiff thing being able to pass the mainsheet to the crew to play upwind). I may revisit it on the Spice but my cobbled together dual tiller extensions may need an upgrade before it will work properly.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 4:03pm
Off the boom sheeting was suggested a few times to me for Sprint,  have had problems with sheeting for years, never seen it in action before looks good, may have another look
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 3:53pm
Yes, off boom. Not sure I'd have considered getting without the rule change. 
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 17 at 3:50pm
Looks exciting, is it off the boom sheeting ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>