FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oh the righteous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh the righteous
    Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 4:30pm
Fair comment, I guess SMOD classes range from those with an active CA and involved designer (who are closer to an old style 'one design' class like the Firefly) at one end of the spectrum to those entirely controlled by the builder at the other. It is the latter type to whom I was referring above.
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
piglet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote piglet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 7:28pm
Is it true the composite top section is 600g lighter than the ally?
If so, how is that fair competition.
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 7:58pm
I read this a lot about Laser sails not lasting, the ones at my club seem to last more than a couple of months, mind only two out of a dozen have XD controls, but they still seem ok after a couple of seasons, is it circuit racing ?
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:03pm
I think the general consensus is that they lose there edge after a couple of hard regattas. For the average club sailor the 2% difference between a box fresh sail and one that has had a few weeks use is pretty irrelevant, miss one shift and you've dropped more than that, but for the top guys who are all within a couple of percent of each other a new boat every year and a new sale every regatta makes the difference between winning and losing (in their mind at least).
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
Paramedic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Paramedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:07pm
^^What he said^^ 

but how many are using genuine sails?

(I must add I don't actually have a massive problem with people using non-class sails in club racing provided the club authorise it and its handicap racing)
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:10pm
Presumably a conspiracy theorist would consider it to be a rumour started by Laser Performance in order to shift lots more sails...
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:25pm
I understand many of the cheaper capsule coffee machines are sold at a very tight margin, hook the punters in and make mega margin on the capsules.

The Laser model seems similar!
423zero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 423zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:44pm
I haven't noticed any copies, only one I know for certain is the rooster sail, but only used once owner didn't like it.
ian.r.mcdonald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ian.r.mcdonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 17 at 9:54pm
as effective and 75% cheaper would convince me
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 17 at 9:25am
Originally posted by ian.r.mcdonald

I understand many of the cheaper capsule coffee machines are sold at a very tight margin, hook the punters in and make mega margin on the capsules.

The Laser model seems similar!

Or printers ... where the manufacturers chip the cartridges and suggest your warranty will be invalidated by using non-OEM products.
Happily living in the past
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>