FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More Corrupt BS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
iGRF View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote iGRF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Corrupt BS
    Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 10:47am
davidyacht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote davidyacht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 11:10am
Just sums up how out of touch World Sailing is with the sport.  Really can't how the proposed keelboat class with overnight sailing is going to fit into an Olympic template.  Have just filled in a survey for Workd Sailing completely about social media and sponsorship ... nothing about developing the sport at grass roots.
Happily living in the past
ifoxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ifoxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 11:39am
It is for the event to be held in France however, the home of short handed off shore sailing... cant be a coincidence can it
RS300
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 3:39pm
Short-handed: French flavour and one that has real interest world-wide.  Not only that it will be the longest duration single event of the Olympics and that will make it both accessible to a world-wide audience, and add interest.

As for kiting over-windsurfing: I admire the extreme athleticism of the windsurfers and their CV fitness levels, but I don't recognise the light to medium wind pump fest as sailing.  Kiting seems much cleaner in that respect.
sargesail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote sargesail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 3:40pm
Also mixed is good for the sports profile.  One of the only genuinely mixed events in sport.
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by sargesail

Short-handed: French flavour and one that has real interest world-wide.  Not only that it will be the longest duration single event of the Olympics and that will make it both accessible to a world-wide audience, and add interest.

As for kiting over-windsurfing: I admire the extreme athleticism of the windsurfers and their CV fitness levels, but I don't recognise the light to medium wind pump fest as sailing.  Kiting seems much cleaner in that respect.

+1
Presuming Ed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Presuming Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by sargesail

+1 x2. 
So nice of you to write what I’m thinking. Saves me so much time. Thanks!!
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 9:05pm
We'll see.

ISAF/WS has issued a press release which sort of rubbishes that press report ( http://www.sailing.org/news/85767.php ), but unfortunately their ability to write a report of the conference seems to have deserted them in favour of posting mind boggling tedious and unwatchable videos of the meetings so its hard to work out WTF is going on.

Edited by JimC - 13 Dec 17 at 9:06pm
Sam.Spoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sam.Spoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 10:08pm
So it seems likely they'll announce exactly what "Sailing Illustrated" have just leaked?  Embarrassed
Spice 346 "Flat Broke"
Blaze 671 "supersonic soap dish"
JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 17 at 11:04pm
It may be more complicated than that... The traditional way of doing Olympic class selection is a massive horse trading exercise at the annual conference, in which all sorts of proposals come and go, and the end result isn't necessarily what the executive wanted. You may remember that kites were in and then out again within a few hours at the last selection session as different groups had their say. The council gets the final say.

What that document is alleging is that the staff side is going to attempt to railroad the decision through with an email vote in the spring, instead of it going through the normal long winded and acrimonious (and democratic) process in November.

The choice of classes is one thing, but if the executive are really seeking to railroad something through like that (and there are to me some hints in the ISAF pr that there may be an element of that) then that is to me a really big deal and something that ought to be stamped on.

Its interesting too, because the RYA, apparently as a result of legislation changes, also seems to be changing their management structure so the full time execs and managers will have much more power, and the representatives in the council much less.

Edited by JimC - 13 Dec 17 at 11:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>