FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More Corrupt BS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Do Different View Drop Down
Really should get out more

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: More Corrupt BS
    Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 9:06pm
Politics aside. I am not sure how much TV coverage can contribute to sailing.

According to psychologists viewers enjoy watching sport for a few reasons.

There is the tribal connection of supporting and taking the reflected glory of a winning team. Not really applicable to sailing.

If the viewer has taken part in the sport themselves then when watching it they experience the same sensations as if they were doing it. Only applicable to existing sailors and probably a stretch too far for most to truly get much from watching foiling Acs.

Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Do Different

Politics how?

According to psychologists viewers enjoy watching sport for a few reasons.

There is the tribal connection of supporting and taking the reflected glory of a winning team. Not really applicable to sailing.
Coming back to Olympics, don't you think following Team GBR counts, particularly at the London Games?

If the viewer has taken part in the sport themselves then when watching it they experience the same sensations as if they were doing it. Only applicable to existing sailors and probably a stretch too far for most to truly get much from watching foiling Acs.
Still doesn't answer why we should be interested in people enjoying watching sailing

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 18 at 10:36pm
Politics aside. That would be the implied title of the string. 

However we have now drifted to TV coverage.

Following team GBR every four years. No not really, too infrequent and hardly a team, more a collection of individuals.

I don't think we should be interested in people watching racing as it is too remote, boring and difficult to get an immediate feel of how people are doing for all but people who already sail.

Now sailing that is completely different tale, messing about water is so much more relatable.  

PeterG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote PeterG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 18 at 3:34pm
Would the decline across all sports be more pronounced without coverage?

Or would it be less? Perhaps if there was less sport on TV people would get off their couches and take part more  Tongue
Peter
Ex Cont 707
Ex Laser 189635
DY 59
Bootscooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bootscooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 18 at 11:36pm
Well I LOVE watching racing on TV, and the Sailing World Cup weekends have me tuned in to YouTube for the Medal Races.
The RYA has stats, which fully back up the figures my SC have of membership and participation peaking in Olympic years, with a slow drift-down during each Olympic cycle, so there does appear to be a benefit to the sport.
Brass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 18 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Brass

Why?  What benefit does 'bringing sailing into the public eye' have for those people who participate in sailing?
Originally posted by PeterG

Does current TV coverage make people more likely to take part? 
Originally posted by Bootscooter

The RYA has stats, which fully back up the figures my SC have of membership and participation peaking in Olympic years, with a slow drift-down during each Olympic cycle, so there does appear to be a benefit to the sport.
Thanks.  Good answer to the questions posed.  Agrees with observations I had years ago about junior cricket and Ashes years.

I'm still not sure whether tinkering with the game and equipment at the highest levels, thus spoiling it for the average club racer, is worth the exposure gains and the unquantified exposure and possible increased participation gains.
zippyRN View Drop Down
Far too distracted from work
Far too distracted from work

Post Options Post Options   Quote zippyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 18 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by sargesail

Also mixed is good for the sports profile.  One of the only genuinely mixed events in sport.

other than equestrian events  you  mean  - as AFAIK the only gendered equestrian event is  Modern Penathlon  - but  that is because of the swim  and  run'n'shoot ... 
Jack Sparrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jack Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 18 at 2:09pm

According to *psychologists, viewers enjoy watching sport for a few reasons.

*Sources?
blueboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 18 at 6:34am

Not applicable to sailing. Is that so? Kiwis seem to have a well-developed connection to ETNZ and took plenty of reflected glory from their AC35 victory.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Do Different Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 18 at 7:32am
Sources Jack.

A while ago BBC science documentary, may have been Horizon or Dr Michael Moseley. Monitoring of brain activity of engaged viewers, blood pressure, heart rate, etc.

Tridal connection.

I perceive the ratio of players to viewers is far greater in professional football than in competing sailors to watching sailors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345